Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Do HTML codes still need to be coded in for symbols, or can you copy/paste the actual symbol?

pnaonline

Total Posts:  27
Posted: 07 December 2016 10:30 AM

Do things like registered, trademark, apostrophes, en and em dashes still need to have their HTML codes?

I have this in the header, <meta charset=“UTF-8”>, but want to know if some email clients ignore this requiring the html codes.

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  217
Posted: 08 December 2016 02:29 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hi pnaonline,

Welcome back to the EoA forums!

That meta tag should cover most email clients. But I would recommend using the HTML codes for symbols just to cover your bases.

Many thanks,
Alex

pnaonline

Posted: 08 December 2016 09:01 AM
[ # 2 ]

Thanks for the reply Alex. Do you know if there are any major clients that ignore the meta charset tag?

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Posted: 09 December 2016 03:46 AM
[ # 3 ]

Hi pnaonline,

I actually don’t have a list like that to hand - I’ve always just encoded them to be absolutely safe. I’ll try and dig one out for you.

Many thanks,
Alex

pnaonline

Posted: 12 December 2016 09:45 AM
[ # 4 ]

Cool thanks Alex. I did run a test through Acid however with various characters just pasted in and all major clients were showing them.

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Posted: 13 December 2016 06:19 AM
[ # 5 ]

Oh awesome! Time for me to update my workflow then. Thanks for the update!

Cheers!
Alex