Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

outlook 2013 vs 2016 text rendering size

pccomputing

Total Posts:  6
Posted: 05 December 2016 01:52 AM

Hi All,,

I am currently making a html signature for a client, and have noticed in 2013 that some email addresses in my signature drop the line below within the table cell, where as in 2016 it does not happen.

To explain: I am using a 3rd party bit of software on the clients exchange server that auto populates the email senders details, pulling the information from Active Directory.
EG: a line in my signature has the web address of the client, then their email address. A couple of users email addresses have a few more characters than the others, so in outlook 2013 the line drops the email address to the next line. In 2016 it shows fine.

I put the html code in the analyser here in email on acid, and I can even see the spacing between characters in outlook 2013 is ‘bigger’ than 2016

any help would be appreciated smile

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  221
Posted: 05 December 2016 05:16 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hi pccomputing

Welcome to the Email on Acid forums!

Could you please post your HTML code as an attachment. That will help me investigate your issue.

Many thanks,
Alex.

pccomputing

Posted: 05 December 2016 08:02 AM
[ # 2 ]

Hi again!

Attached is the code in a txt file

appreciate the assistance

File Attachments
sig.txt  (File Size: 4KB - Downloads: 199)

pccomputing

Posted: 05 December 2016 09:47 PM
[ # 3 ]

Me again - I have run the signature through the optimizer and it has made some changes and I have added a few tweeks, but I am still getting the issue were email addresses with more characters are being dropped down to a new line in outlook 2013, in 2016 it displays all on one line with the web address

updated html code attached

File Attachments
sig.html  (File Size: 4KB - Downloads: 222)

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Posted: 06 December 2016 04:24 AM
[ # 4 ]

Hi pccomputing,

I’ve put that code through our testing software and it renders fine for me. Just to clarify, when you put a longer email address in it’ll break onto the next line in Outlook 2013?

Cheers,
Alex

pccomputing

Posted: 06 December 2016 05:57 AM
[ # 5 ]

Thanks for replying Alex smile

That’s correct, in outlook 2013 the same signature will force longer names to break into a new line, in 2016 that same name doesn’t.

If I run a preview of the code here on email on acid, flicking between 2013 and 2016, the text 2013 looks more ‘expanded’ for lack of a better word

Stumped smile

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Posted: 07 December 2016 04:21 AM
[ # 6 ]

Hi pccomputing,

How strange! Usually we see fairly consistent rendering between Outlook 2013 and 2016.

Just so I have all the facts; are you sending these signatures from Outlook? If so, which version are you using.

Cheers,
Alex

pccomputing

Posted: 07 December 2016 04:44 AM
[ # 7 ]

Neither, I have signature software deployed in my exchange server to automatically send out Signatures based in the sender

pccomputing

Posted: 07 December 2016 07:52 PM
[ # 8 ]

its as if outlook 2010/2013 renders my font size differently to 2016

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Posted: 08 December 2016 02:30 AM
[ # 9 ]

Hi pccomputing,

In regards to DOCTYPE. You may find this fantastic blog post interesting: https://emails.hteumeuleu.com/which-doctype-should-you-use-in-html-emails-cd323fdb793c#.1tyjwcukf

Cheers,
Alex.