Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

The future of Email on Acid

AY777

Total Posts:  8
Posted: 29 November 2016 07:02 AM

With the increasing popularity of CSS-based animation and interactivity in email, what is the future for previewing services like Email on Acid?

A static screenshot is no longer going to be of much use. Interactive previews will be essential for the service to remain relevant or it’s going to be back to the old laborious method of checking an email on every device.

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  221
Posted: 29 November 2016 07:39 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hi AY777,

Definitely an interesting question!

Interactive email is an exciting topic, and one we’re working hard to help push! However, there are still a lot of reasons to use Email on Acid.

A huge one when it comes to Interactive Email is fallbacks. Many developers are coding interactive email with varying states. As Rebelmail say in this blog post: http://blog.rebelmail.com/email-client-support/ they see email in 3 states; interactive, limited and static. It’s easy when coding out a crazy cool interactive email to forget about the email basics and those static and limited clients. That’s when we come to the rescue, we’re on hand to make sure your lovely interactive quiz still does the job in Outlook 2003.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the future of email and email testing too!

Cheers,
Alex

AY777

Total Posts:  8
Posted: 29 November 2016 08:06 AM
[ # 2 ]

Hello Alex and thanks for the reply.

I was picturing some kind of device emulation rather than snapshots as a means of testing. No idea if such a thing is possible but if it is, I know I would be very happy to pay for it!

Definitely agree that it’s easy to get carried away with the possibilities of interactive email and I keep waiting for the announcement that support for the checkbox hack has been pulled.

Adrian