Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Gmail & Embeded Styles / Media Queries

Chris.Ducharme

Total Posts:  17
Posted: 04 November 2016 02:57 AM

Is it just me, or have the updates Gmail rolled out this past September all been reverted.

A few weeks ago I was able to publish emails here and all Gmail webmail clients would render styles embedded in the head and media queries.

This morning, all tests I ran had no styling what so ever if it wasn’t inlined and all media queries were ignored.

Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  209
Posted: 04 November 2016 03:13 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hey Chris!

You should still be seeing Gmail webmail clients supporting Media Queries. For an updated list of clients that support Media Queries we recently published a blog with a universal list of support which you can find here; https://www.emailonacid.com/blog/article/email-development/media-queries-in-html-email

If you wanted me to check there’s nothing else going awry in the code, feel free to attach your code as a .HTML file and I’ll have a look.

Thanks!
Alex

Chris.Ducharme

Posted: 04 November 2016 03:22 AM
[ # 2 ]

Thanks for the reply,

I have tracked the Media Query issue to that all styles are being stripped out of the Head of the email for me.

Been looking for why this might be happening and all I have found so far is it appears that gmail is down. 

http://downdetector.com/status/gmail/map/

Wonder if this could be related to my issue this morning.

Chris.Ducharme

Posted: 04 November 2016 04:31 AM
[ # 3 ]

Solved the issue,

Gmail strips the entire style tag including media queries if it exceeds the 8,192 character limit.

SquareBalloonEoin

Total Posts:  22
Posted: 14 November 2016 02:52 AM
[ # 4 ]
Chris.Ducharme - 04 November 2016 04:31 AM

Solved the issue,

Gmail strips the entire style tag including media queries if it exceeds the 8,192 character limit.

Thanks for the update.  Very good of Google to do this for us haha.  I don’t think this is the problem I’m having though, even on a small email I’m not getting responsive behaviour on either desktop or Gmail app.

SquareBalloonEoin

Total Posts:  22
Posted: 14 November 2016 02:52 AM
[ # 5 ]

Do we have any information as to when this will be rolled out?  It has a big effect on a project I’m working on.

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 14 November 2016 03:02 AM
[ # 6 ]

SquareBalloonEoin,
Any information as to when what will be rolled out?

Chris.Ducharme

Posted: 10 February 2017 02:51 AM
[ # 7 ]

Has gmail reduced the maximum number of characters allowed in the style tag?

I have noticed today there I can get far fewer classes inside the style tag (within the media query) before gmail dumps the entire style tag.

Anyone have anymore information on what is happening?