Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Does border-collpase: collapse; need to be on every td?

jamesread

Total Posts:  3
Posted: 29 October 2016 06:23 PM

Should I just leave it in the head like:

td { border:collpase:collapse:} and just let the inliner handle it?

What if I don’t use an inliner? Do I have to add it manually to every single td? 

Or should I inline it so that it applies to every td?

I’m new to email dev and I’m learning from tons of different sources and one says this, the other says that. It’s hard to know what’s right.

I know modern HTML and CSS. Thank you so much for any advice.

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  224
Posted: 31 October 2016 04:16 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hi Jamesread,

Welcome to the Email on Acid forums!

I’m excited to hear you’re learning email development, it’s a journey for sure!

The reason we add border-collapse:collapse to certain tables and tds is simply to collapse the border into 1 border. Some email clients will add a bit of extra spacing where we don’t include that. It should be fine just in the head of your email, but if you’re seeing certain tables or tds breaking out you can add it to those specific tables as a fix.

Let me know how you get on! I’m always happy to help with any questions you have.

Cheers,
Alex

jamesread

Posted: 01 November 2016 07:18 PM
[ # 2 ]

Awesome. That’s very helpful. It’s easy to get overwhelmed with all this stuff.

I’ve built my first design, tested it and all that good stuff. Pretty much have found out that due to MSO making us specify fixed image widths and Gmail not supporting media queries, I’m forced to learn the hybrid approach? Is this pretty much the way of the email world?

I’m wondering if you could give me some advice.
I want to design and develop email on the side as a freelancer.

I’ve learned responsive design, which takes care of everything but Gmail.  Now, it seems that my next step should be to learn the Hybrid method.
Does that sound about right?

Is one used more than the other. I’m sure most will say it depends on things like your list and what clients they are opening with, sinlge/multi-column etc, but in general, these days, which approach is used most? Or does it really just all depend?

Any advice before I dive deep into hybrid for the next few days?

Thanks again for EOA. Awesome service, awesome people, awesome work!

BTW, I plan on subscribing to EOA for testing purposes.

For now, I’m going to dig into that hybrid template you guys offer.

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  224
Posted: 02 November 2016 05:08 AM
[ # 3 ]

Hey Jamesread!

First, thank you for the nice comments about EoA! I’ll be sure to pass them onto the team, it’s always nice to hear such lovely feedback.

You’re right, it is very easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of email code out there!

In regards to what you said with MSO; you only need to specify image widths for images that are not their native size. For example, if you have a 1000px image you want to be 500px, you’ll need to specify the width in the HTML, not CSS (as I’m sure you’ve encountered). However, if no resizing is involved you can leave that.

In regards to the Gmail responsiveness rollout; we’re still seeing a slow rollout and there will be a lot of cases where Gmail will not support responsive email. The approach we use, and I advise others to use, is to go with Fluid Hybrid as a base and progressively enhance with Media Queries for clients that do support it.

If you’re interested in learning about Fluid Hybrid, you’re on the right track with our templates. My colleague Geoff also wrote this fantastic blog which is A Fluid Hybrid Primer: https://www.emailonacid.com/blog/article/email-development/a-fluid-hybrid-design-primer

If you have any further questions I’m always happy to help!

Cheers,
Alex

jamesread

Posted: 02 November 2016 11:07 AM
[ # 4 ]

You da man Alex! Thanks again.