Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Does anyone know why Display: none; isn’t working for text and images in the <td> for some Gmail platforms?

pnaonline

Total Posts:  26
Posted: 24 October 2016 04:28 AM

EOA has also been trying to figure out why the display: none; is not working, and found out that it works for some reason if you remove most of the HTML in the <body></body> tags but that obviously can’t happen.

Here is how I have different <td>‘s styled:

.linkHide {
          display: none !important;
        }
        .imageHide {
          display: none !important;
        }

One is to hide the View Online link for mobile, and the other is to hide an image on mobile.

Display: none; is working on Android 4.4 and that’s all. Android 5.1 and 6 are not. I’m fairly certain iOS for Gmail didn’t update yet.

Here is the share link:
https://www.emailonacid.com/app/acidtest/display/summary/Syui59X8dxdDiM4GuQLc0ZZInsOQg6Uxepnm1fmAIgTEV/shared

pnaonline

Posted: 25 October 2016 04:09 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hi Geoff,

I found the error, there was a ” on class .subHeader3 in the 480 and below media query which was causing everything to get thrown off for some reason.

So problem solved there, but do you know why on 5.1 it looks like the desktop version and not scaling down?

Here is the share link:
https://www.emailonacid.com/app/acidtest/display/summary/K7TLsSH0FtP0bKSyWeoeZDwTYB7yI85WdmtVp6xC80uvG/shared

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 25 October 2016 04:13 AM
[ # 2 ]

pnaonline,
Sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier!

Android 5.1 is very similar to the Gmail client, but hasn’t received any of the updates. So it doesn’t allow for the use of media queries. This is why you’re seeing the desktop version.

pnaonline

Posted: 25 October 2016 04:24 AM
[ # 3 ]

Ah okay glad it’s not something with the HTML. Do you know when iOS and Android 5.1 are getting the update?

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 25 October 2016 04:27 AM
[ # 4 ]

pnaonline,
Unfortunately Gmail/Google hasn’t announced any dates for these.

pnaonline

Posted: 25 October 2016 04:43 AM
[ # 5 ]

Got it thanks!