Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Gmail app Android 6

kmfwerbung

Total Posts:  4
Posted: 05 October 2016 05:23 AM

Hello dear EOA team,

I wonder which version of Gmail app for Android 6 are you providing for testing? Somehow I have the feeling that this Gmail version works in a quite unique way:

1. It seems that this Gmail version supports embedded <style> and media queries;
2. As long as I use attribute selectors in the media queries (such like *[class=“foo”] this Gmail version won’t ignore these CSS definitions, it seems that it will execute these css commands and at the meantime strip the media query conditional call (@media only screen and (max-width:480px)) out. And of course the newsletter is completely bad looking then.

I know Gmail for Android begins to support embedded <style> and media queries at the moment. But on our Samsung Galaxy S7 and S5 (both with Android 6.0.1) the Gmail app won’t act this way: it will completely ignore the css commmands within the attribute selectors.

On our Honor 7 (Android 6.0) the embedded <style> and media queries are not supported in Gmail app. So the app can only show the desktop version.

Thank you.

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 05 October 2016 07:21 AM
[ # 1 ]

kmfwerbung,
Thanks for posting!

Can you share a code sample or shared test that shows these issues in our Android Gmail previews?

CSstudio

Total Posts:  3
Posted: 07 October 2016 03:15 AM
[ # 2 ]

I ran into a similar issue with Android Gmail 6 where I couldn’t see my responsive state.

I talked to someone from Live Chat in Email on Acid that said it was because I was using CSS selectors in my media query.  So I removed them and just used classes with out the selectors.  I’m still not seeing the responsive state.  It could be a similar issue mentioned above about how I’ve written @media all .... maybe Gmail doesn’t like that?  Any ideas?

https://www.emailonacid.com/app/acidtest/display/summary/1QZW8jiwRKBpKalsm0SEEKKGORNo25NhTMyoeO6IBVU7d/shared

Is there any information about Gmail’s requirements for media queries?  Do you have a working sample of an email with a media query that is showing the responsive state in Android Gmail 6?

Thanks,
Brandi