Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

White rectangle [] on Outlook 2013

rearlaura

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 26 September 2016 03:23 AM

I have this email (attached) which seems to work nicely. But client told me that they see a strange white rectangle ([])  just after this paragraph:

“In addition, assistance and support from our team of professionals will be provided throughout the event.”

There’s apparently anything wrong with that line (329), but client insists they see this thing and refuses to send email. Any idea?

File Attachments
index_en_inlined.html  (File Size: 51KB - Downloads: 81)

davidmartinez

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 26 September 2016 07:35 PM
[ # 1 ]

Hi,

I’m working on the same project and I’m equally puzzled by the issue.
Some additional information about the client:

- Operating System Used: Windows
- Email Client: Outlook (The one that comes with Office Home and Business 2013)

This is the screenshot that the client has sent:

- Screenshot of the issue

We know that this usually happens when the email client is trying to use a font it doesn’t have or the message uses unknown/invalid characters. Looking at the code, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Apart from Email on Acid, we made some tests locally and we don’t seem to be able to recreate the issue.

We’d like to get to the bottom of this so we can ensure it does not happen again in the future.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
David

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  205
Posted: 26 September 2016 11:50 PM
[ # 2 ]

Hi David,

Thank you for such an in-depth bug report!

This may sound odd, but are you copy and pasting text from a Word, Photoshop, etc into your HTML? It could be that a carriage return could be being pulled in. I’d advise always putting your content into plain text before putting it into your code.

Let me know if that helps, and if not, we’ll take another look smile

Cheers
Alex

davidmartinez

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 27 September 2016 01:34 AM
[ # 3 ]

Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting back to us.  wink

We thought about the possibility of being a carriage return brought by accident when doing a copy/paste from the source material. If that was the case, we would be able to see such character when using “show invisibles” in an editor such as Atom or Sublime, right? Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Do you have any other ideas about what could be causing the issue?
Thanks a lot, we really appreciate your time.

Cheers,
David