Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

HTML renders as plain text with Office 365 account on iPhone / iPad and attachment

JimmyJMC

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 09 August 2016 10:02 PM

Hi all,

This is my first time on the forum so apologies if this has been covered before. Also to note I am not an email designer but rather a client trying to figure out an issue that has been going on for weeks. So my knowledge on the subject is very limited.

The company I work for recently signed a contract with a media monitoring provider that is required to send a daily email to a group of 50 people at my company.

It is a requirement that the HTML email template also has a PDF attached (news clipping for the day).

When the PDF is over about 500kb, the email renders as plain text on iPhones and iPads using Apple Mail. You then have to scroll to the bottom of the email and press “download remaining email”. This only happens when accessing the email on iPhones/Pads through the work email client, which is Microsoft Outlook (Office 365).

Other things to note:
It renders perfectly on iPhones/iPads when the PDF is smaller than 500kb (or when no PDF is attched)
It renders perfectly on iPhones/iPads when using a non-Microsoft client e.g my personal iiNet email account
It renders perfectly on iPhones/iPads when using a third party app e.g. the outlook app
It works on all other devices and the desktop - even when the PDF is larger than 500kb

So it appears to be an Office 365 issue to me. I would very much appreciate any feedback or advice so I can relay to my IT department.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  221
Posted: 10 August 2016 05:41 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to the Email on Acid forums!

Thanks for such an in depth question, it really helps us try and solve issues when you provide as much information as you did.

My first hunch with this, and I’m sure you had the same one, is that Office 365 does not like those large attachments. It truncates the email, and forces you to download the rest of the email. This may be a setting users can turn off individually, but that’s neither here nor there.

My suggestions, and please feel free to push back if any/all of these aren’t possible, would be;

- Ensure the PDF is below 500kb. I know this one is probably the most unrealistic, given that if it’s a news clipping you can’t account for the size of the PDF.
- Rather than attaching the PDF, simply send a link in the email to the PDF hosted online/internally.
- Rather than attaching the PDF, put the news inside the email you’re sending out.

Let me know your thoughts on all this.

Cheers
Alex