Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Gmail Inbox preheader text

MKrouse

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 22 July 2016 07:21 AM

We’re seeing a discrepancy between the preheader text that shows up for the rest of our platforms (regular gmail, yahoo, outlook, etc) and what’s showing up for Gmail Inbox specifically. Does anyone know if Inbox ignores hidden preheader text??

Gmail Inbox seems to start the preheader with the alt text of the first image in the email. All others show the preheader text, followed by the “view as webpage” text like you’d expect.

I have a screenshot of our code attached. It’s directly under the body tag of the HTML.

Anyone else noticing this?

Image Attachments
PreheaderCode.jpg

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  217
Posted: 25 July 2016 06:53 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hey MKrouse,

Thanks for raising an interesting point, I’ve not actually noticed that in the past!

One thing you could do (if you wanted to change it) would be to put your preheader just as a div after the opening <body> tag, this snippet (courtesy of Mark Robbins) should be perfect everywhere

<div style="display:none;max-height:0;overflow:hidden;mso-hide:all;">{{my.email-intro}}</div

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers,
Alex