Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Blackberry not showing text alternative - just a blank screen

MissionMode

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 07 April 2011 07:31 PM

I’ve run several tests, using two email templates, and the Blackberry test always shows a blank display. I have a plain text alternative in the message.

At first, the screen is blank. No from, subject or message. Image Blocking is on (by default). Clicking With/Without plain text alternative makes no difference.

When I turn image blocking OFF:
From and subject are OK, but message body is html code. View result with plain text alternative is selected. When I change to ‘View result WITHOUT plain text alternative’, everything looks fine.

Is this a problem with the Blackberry test engine?

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 08 April 2011 09:55 PM
[ # 1 ]

Hi MissionMode,

When you say “I have a plain text alternative in the message” - I presume you are sending an email to your Email on Acid inbox with a plain text alternative, is that correct?

To answer your question, we do not currently support text versions.  So if you are sending the email to your inbox, the text version would be lost.

Also, our testing platform currently displays the Blackberry 8800 series which does not support HTML.  You are correct, it would normally display the text version of your email.  Instead we display the email as it would look without a text version attached.

Image blocking should be turned off by default.  If you want it to be on by default, you can change this in your “settings” tab.  Also, toggling this option will effect all email clients until you change it back.

In summary, yes this is a limitation of our testing engine.

Colin@CA

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 02 September 2011 03:21 PM
[ # 2 ]

Hi Michelle

We are currently evaluating a couple of tools including EoA and Litmus. I notice Litmus use/support the 8500 series of Blackberry which does support html.

Any idea of when EoA may support this as well?

Cheers

Colin

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 02 September 2011 03:43 PM
[ # 3 ]

Colin,

You are correct, we currently support the 8800 series only.  We have plans to add support for the BlackBerry Curve but I do not have an exact time frame as to when that feature will be released.

Cheers and happy testing!
Miki

octony9717

Total Posts:  7
Posted: 23 September 2011 02:24 AM
[ # 4 ]

Luckily I have a BB Torch so I just send my email to that.

It would be good for sake of completeness that you had the latest spec BB OS.