Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Yahoo enlarging fonts and width, but not banner image to fit.

MarketVolt

Total Posts:  38
Posted: 07 June 2016 03:12 AM

It looks to me like Yahoo is enlarging the width of the template to over 800px wide (set at 600px) but images are not resizing with the width. Would like to either stop the width enlarge or make images resize with it. Image and code attached.

Image Attachments
2.jpg
File Attachments
Code.txt  (File Size: 15KB - Downloads: 174)

Chris.Ducharme

Total Posts:  17
Posted: 07 June 2016 05:24 AM
[ # 1 ]

I’m having a similar problem soft of.

Yahoo is not honoring max-width on anything today.  I don’t know if this is a capture issue or if yahoo introduced a nasty new bug. 

So for example, you might have set 600 pixels max-width to your container, but yahoo does not respect this so it’s expanding wider.

I also set the width of my images to 100% and the max-width to their actual size, that way on mobile, they scale down when the width of their container becomes less than the width of the image.  I’m ending up with all my images displaying at 100% page width on yahoo right now as well.

Anyone have more info on this?

MarketVolt

Total Posts:  38
Posted: 07 June 2016 05:32 AM
[ # 2 ]

That does make some sense if it is something new. I do not recall it doing this before.

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 07 June 2016 06:35 AM
[ # 3 ]

MarketVolt,
It looks like Yahoo is changing “width” to “min-width” which is really causing a lot of havoc on email designs. You can over write this by setting your own min-width.

It’s also adding “overflow-x:auto;” to anything with “max-width” set on it. You can override this using “overflow:visible;” inline, but it won’t work in Internet Explorer because Yahoo is also adding “-ms-overflow-x:auto;” to the styles, which apparently can’t be overridden.

We’re working on a blog post detailing this. Thanks a lot, Yahoo!

Chris.Ducharme

Posted: 07 June 2016 06:37 AM
[ # 4 ]

I have been able to find some information on this on google on other support communities now.

It appears Yahoo made changes to their webmail clients today and changed all kinds of stuff that reek complete havoc on fluid hybrid emails and responsiveness. 

There are multiple different issues, one being that yahoo not converts width into min-width.

This means that my 100% images with lets say a max-width of 300 pixels render in yahoo as a min-width of 100%, which is wider than the max width of 300 which isn’t valid.  It appears min-width gets honored in this case so there for images appear wider than intended. 

Trying to figure out still what is causing my columns to in fluid hybred emails to expand to 100% width. The 100% width attrube on these in in the HTML tag and not CSS.  So I"m guessing this 100% width attribute is being converted to min-width as well?

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 07 June 2016 08:02 AM
[ # 5 ]

As far as I can tell this has already disappeared. Are you still seeing the issue?

Chris.Ducharme

Posted: 07 June 2016 08:06 AM
[ # 6 ]
Geoff Phillips - 07 June 2016 08:02 AM

As far as I can tell this has already disappeared. Are you still seeing the issue?

I am still seeing the horizontal scrollbar being added, but it appears the width being converted to min-width is no longer happening.  Just got a clean capture without that issue.