Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Outlook 2007/2010 collapsing cells

CSstudio

Total Posts:  3
Posted: 21 March 2011 05:45 AM

I hadn’t noticed this before, but it would seem that when you have a table which has some row-spanning involved, table cells will not hold their width unless you have actual content inside them when in Outlook 2007 or 2010.

Does this seem right?

Having to reduce ourselves already to html-only tables for emails is bad enough but now to have to user spacer.gifs?

Usually, having one row with set widths at the top or bottom has held structure so long as no imagery breaks it but I just ran about 7 tests and the rowspanning is throwing the MS Word rendering engine a loop.

Anybody else?

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 11 April 2011 05:15 PM
[ # 1 ]

I just ran the following test to see if I could re-create the issue you are reporting.

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="1">
  <
tr>
    <
td width="200">test</td>
    <
td width="200">test</td>
  </
tr>
  <
tr>
    <
td width="200">test</td>
    <
td width="200">test</td>
  </
tr>
</
table>

<
br /><br />

<
table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="1">
  <
tr>
    <
td width="200" rowspan="2">test</td>
    <
td width="200">test</td>
  </
tr>
  <
tr>
    <
td width="200">test</td>
  </
tr>
</
table>

<
br /><br />

<
table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="1">
  <
tr>
    <
td width="200" rowspan="2"></td>
    <
td width="200">test</td>
  </
tr>
  <
tr>
    <
td width="200">test</td>
  </
tr>
</
table

Each instance rendered the specified width correctly in Outlook 07 and 2010.  If you would like to submit an example, I’d be happy to look into it for you.

Grand Brands

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 05 August 2011 02:19 AM
[ # 2 ]

It seems the issue is that some email programs will read the cell width from the cells in the first row of the table, while outlook requires all empty cells to have a width specified.  Add a width to all your empty cells and the problem should be resolved.