Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Buggy, glitchy text issue in Outlook 2010

Skylark

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 24 May 2016 02:17 PM

I just came across a bizarre bug in Outlook 2010 that I thought I’d post up here as I couldn’t find any existing reference to it online. It’s possibly the most glitch-like bug I’ve ever seen in terms of email visuals.

I was using <em> tags within tags to italicise a few words of text, which contained some redundant default styles placed by the inliner I was using. When a test email was sent to Outlook, the paragraphs using these styles displayed a number of different issues:
- The first paragraph displayed as if it had a massive line-height.
- When highlighted, the text of all paragraphs changed position in terms of both line height and indent.
- Highlighted text overlaid the initial text (badly), so that there were effectively two imperfect layers of text.

Turned out to be one of the following redundant styles that was causing the problem. Once I removed these, everything worked fine:
<em style=“font-variant: normal; padding: 0; margin: 0; font-weight: normal; vertical-align: baseline;”>

Thought I would let people know in case it came up for someone else.

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  210
Posted: 25 May 2016 08:36 PM
[ # 1 ]

Hi Skylark and welcome to the Email on Acid forums!

What an odd bug that is! Thanks for posting it here, great investigative work to figure out what was causing it too. We’ll be sure to watch for this issue in the future and point people in the direction of this post if they do have the same problem.

Alex