Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Android 5.0 and Gmail app email width issues (horizontal email template)

hoseasons

Total Posts:  7
Posted: 24 May 2016 02:47 AM

Hi all, I’m designing a horizontal email template and have noticed when testing that Android 5.0 and Gmail are doing their trick of showing the whole email within the device width? I’ve tried adding min-width to columns, taking off and also modifying the viewport meta tag (tried changing from device width too)

<meta name=“viewport” content=“width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=1.0; user-scalable=no;”>

Is there a fix to get this to display at full size/ the idea is to be able to side scroll along to navigate the sections and it works fine in everything else bar android and gmail?

thanks, have attached the email below

File Attachments
hoseasons2.html  (File Size: 50KB - Downloads: 269)

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  217
Posted: 24 May 2016 04:23 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hey hoseasons,

Welcome to the Email on Acid forums!

This fix by our very own Justin Khoo should be able to help you achieve what you want. It’s a little “hack” that forces Gmail app to show the full version: http://freshinbox.com/blog/gmail-on-ios-increases-font-size-on-some-emails/

If this doesn’t fix it for you, let me know and we can take another look at it.

Many thanks
Alex

hoseasons

Total Posts:  7
Posted: 24 May 2016 06:13 AM
[ # 2 ]

Thanks so much for your quick response, I was just wondering if there’s a way to stop android/gmail condensing the email to the device width? The email is about 2000px long and it shrinks the entire thing to fit the window (see attached screenshot), I don’t know much about viewport and scale etc but i wondered if there’s something around that that may fix the issue? I tried removing it, changing device-width to an exact width, minimum scale 1.0 etc but I’m no closer!

thanks again,

Josh

Image Attachments
screenshot.jpg