Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

What IS Android 5.1 ???

wiredmessenger

Total Posts:  3
Posted: 11 May 2016 01:31 PM

Hi all - Im very confused about something and Im hoping someone can help! i was under the impression that the native android 5.1 app WAS gmail—that there was no native email app in lollipop.

Does android lollipop have a native email client? On my own lollipo phone i see an email client -  However, according to the internet I shouldnt and it was replaced with gmail app?

Does android 5.1 support media queries?

Thank you #emailgeeks

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 11 May 2016 01:41 PM
[ # 1 ]

wiredmessenger,
Welcome to the forum!

For most Android 5.1 phones, there is no native client. Some phones will show an icon for it, but when clicked on it just instructs the user to use the Gmail app. Phones in some regions or from some providers will have the native app, which is what we offer in our suite.

As far as we can tell, the Android 5.1 native app is very similar to Gmail. No, it does not support media queries.

Hope that helps!

wiredmessenger

Total Posts:  3
Posted: 12 May 2016 06:47 AM
[ # 2 ]

That is very interesting and enlightening. Thank you

Can you confirm that android 4.4 native email does or does not support media queries?

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 13 May 2016 02:32 PM
[ # 3 ]

wiredmessenger,
That’s right. You can get more details about what is and isn’t supported from this blog, https://www.emailonacid.com/blog/article/email-development/how_android_is_strangling_responsive_design.