Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Gmail vs Google Apps

servicedesk

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 05 April 2016 08:17 PM

I was wondering about what could be the difference between Gmail and Google Apps as they are listed separately in the result list. As far as I know, Google Apps are just web application that can be started like a normal program but still are running in the browser. So I would say, that in both cases it is Gmail in a browser and should not have different results.

But it seems I’m wrong about that, because I have different results. Can someone explain me what Google Apps actually are?

Thanks for your help.

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  210
Posted: 05 April 2016 09:08 PM
[ # 1 ]

Hi servicedesk,

Welcome to the Email on Acid forums.

This is a great question and one I’m surprised we don’t get more often.

Google Apps and Gmail actually render emails a little different thanks to a few varied CSS support changes (thanks, Google!). It’s a bit old now, but this Campaign Monitor blog post actually explains really well the differences between them and why we have to treat them as two different email clients: https://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/email-marketing/2014/06/gmail-and-google-apps-css-support-and-rendering-differences/

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Many thanks
Alex