Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Sending FROM Outlook… No, seriously….

SamuraiArtGuy

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 09 March 2016 12:01 PM

Just a casual scan of the forum shows that our favorite name for our pain is Outlook and it’s notorious MS Office Renderer.

But want to take it better? I have a client that is enterprise wedded to NetSuite and therefore insists on sending their email promotions and newsletters FROM Outlook/Exchange on their in-house server. They will not even consider an online service like EoA, MailChimp, Constant Contact, for fear of integration difficulty, additional costs.

I am not sure I can get the flexible aspects of hybrid-flexible to even function within this restriction. So any thoughts about best practices, tips, hacks to at least help the mails at least be acceptable on mobile devices? Their messages come out “micronized” on smartphones… Is there anything that Outlook does NOT strip out and plunder with odious Office [mso-] markup?

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Best,

Kurt
Fantastic Realities Studio

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  221
Posted: 10 March 2016 03:41 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hey Kurt,

Welcome to the EoA forums - you’re absolutely right, Outlook does seem to be enemy number one around here.

Unfortunately it’s bad news with your Outlook issue as well I’m afraid. You’re right in saying you’re not going to be able to get the hybrid templates to function when sent from Outlook itself. Outlook is a fickle beast when sending, it’s going to rip out responsive code for mobile emails entirely.

If you’re not able to convince your client to switch their sending methods I’d encourage you to design and build the email in a “mobile-first” approach. Large fonts, big buttons, clear centralised content, etc to ensure that it’s still legible when Outlook has it’s way with it.

If you need any other help or have any other questions, don’t hesitate to reach out!

Alex

SamuraiArtGuy

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 10 March 2016 11:54 PM
[ # 2 ]

Thank you Alex.

When I have described this issue to other pros’ their almost universal response is “Don’t do it, laddie!!!” Well, not my preference either, but it’s what it is. I have been testing some fluid designs, but they fliud features die straight away in the moment of “Insert as text” Imagine my surprise in one test that a text inset in the [tables] had to be MANUALLY Removed from in Outlook’s composer, despite the “cellpadding=“0” attribute, ignored it utterly….

But the “fluid” worked in one instance… badly…. on iPhone, the text and images were retina “Micronized” - pffft.

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  221
Posted: 11 March 2016 03:58 AM
[ # 3 ]

Yeah, it’s a big struggle with Outlook!

My advice would be to try to slowly educate the client. The reason they use you is because you are an expert.

Best of luck with the struggle!