Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Help With Analytics “Opens” Reporting via CSV

csadams

Total Posts:  3
Posted: 23 February 2016 04:16 AM

I scheduled an analytics campaign and received some interesting “opens” before I ever ran the campaign.

I opened the analytic page and saw there were “opens” aside from my single test to myself to check html, etc.

I downloaded the list and saw under my seed,  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), 100+ opens from these odd and offshore areas:
Ireland, Leinster, Dublin
Russian Federation
United States, California, Mountain View
United States, Colorado, Englewood
United States, Colorado, Lone Tree

I attempted to attach a spreadsheet (xlsx), but apparently it got rejected due to file type (odd).

Will try attaching a single txt file with the data, instead.

Any idea why these opens were there? Especially the offshore ones?

Need help understanding this…

Thank you,

Chris Adams

File Attachments
Odd and offshore opens.txt  (File Size: 25KB - Downloads: 207)

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 23 February 2016 04:18 AM
[ # 1 ]

csadams,
Welcome to the forum!

Did you run any email tests on this code? These look like the kind of opens that would be associated with an email test. As each email client opens the email to test it, it’s recorded by our analytics.

If you didn’t run any tests with the code, let me know.

csadams

Posted: 23 February 2016 04:37 AM
[ # 2 ]
Geoff Phillips - 23 February 2016 04:18 AM

csadams,
Welcome to the forum!

Did you run any email tests on this code? These look like the kind of opens that would be associated with an email test. As each email client opens the email to test it, it’s recorded by our analytics.

If you didn’t run any tests with the code, let me know.

Geoff,

Thanks for the response.

I setup the analytics campaign, activated it and then ran a test for HTML, deliverability, etc. using my .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) test address.

So this is normal?

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 23 February 2016 04:43 AM
[ # 3 ]

csadams,
Yes. That’s actually why we built in the ability to activate a campaign. We recommend that you create the campaign, add the pixel to the email, do all the testing you want, and then activate the campaign just before the final send. In this way, you can clear out all the data from testing but still make sure that the campaign is correctly gathering data.

Let me know if you have any questions!

csadams

Posted: 23 February 2016 05:06 AM
[ # 4 ]
Geoff Phillips - 23 February 2016 04:43 AM

csadams,
Yes. That’s actually why we built in the ability to activate a campaign. We recommend that you create the campaign, add the pixel to the email, do all the testing you want, and then activate the campaign just before the final send. In this way, you can clear out all the data from testing but still make sure that the campaign is correctly gathering data.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Geoff,

Awesome, thanks for the tutorial!