Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

 
   
Outlook 2010 replacing Helvetica Neue with Times New Roman on some devices

psudduth2

Newbie
Total Posts:  2
Posted: 23 February 2016 01:31 AM

I have a template that I’ve been using for about a year for one of our clients with no issues. Recently, the Helvetica Neue typeface has stopped rendering in some versions of Outlook 10, and is defaulting to Times New Roman. This is the way I’m calling the font:  font-family:‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

I know that Times New Roman is the default, and I can see that Outlook is ignoring the Helvetica Neue tag and the rest of the font stack. My question are:
• Why is it suddenly doing this, when its been fine for over a year on all devices, and tests fine in Email on Acid and another online testing product?
• Previous tests that that I’ve sent myself and my client, which were rendering fine, are now showing up as Times New Roman in our inboxes.
•Could it be an email server upgrade?
•Could the single quotes be suddenly causing an issue?

I’ve attached a screen cap to show what the issue is.

Image Attachments
bad.jpg

 

Alex Ilhan

Avatar
Administrator
Total Posts:  210
Posted: 23 February 2016 01:34 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hi psudduth2,

Welcome to the Email on Acid forums!

It’s a well known bug that Outlook will ignore custom fonts, what I’m guessing here is that Outlook is now classing Helvetica Neue as a custom font. You can get it to work if you follow this blog by one of our email developers, Geoff: https://www.emailonacid.com/blog/article/email-development/custom-font-stacks-in-outlook

If you have any other questions feel free to reach out

Many thanks
Alex


 

psudduth2

Newbie
Total Posts:  2
Posted: 23 February 2016 01:46 AM
[ # 2 ]

Thanks Alex. I know how finicky outlook 2010 can be, and this has always worked, even in 2010. Whats so strange is why it suddenly stopped working. I’ll certainly try styling the span, per the article, or maybe just stop using Helvetica Neue.

<td align=“left” valign=“top” style=“color:#293033; font-family:‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size:28px;”>
       
                [url=”#” style=“color:#293033; text-decoration:none;” target=“_blank”]
                  <span style=“color:#293033; text-decoration:none;”>Watch Out: Four Reasons You Might Get Audited</span>
                [/url]
                </td>