Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

How to choose appropriate Content-Transfer-Encoding?

jayli

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 17 February 2016 10:04 PM

There are 5 types of transfer encoding : Base64   , EightBit, QuotedPrintable, SevenBit, Unknown. Source :https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.mime.transferencoding(v=vs.110).aspx

Is EightBit the most tolerant/safest one to use? I’m sending emails with English words and pdf, txt, excel file attachments. The encoding I’m using is UTF-8 ,iso-8859-1 and Windows-1252.

Thanks.

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  223
Posted: 18 February 2016 04:50 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hi Jayli and welcome to the Email on Acid forums!

Great question, UTF-8 is the most common and I believe appropriate.

Cheers
Alex

jayli

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 18 February 2016 05:35 AM
[ # 2 ]

Thx, but I’m asking about content transfer encoding not Charset. If my email’s Charset can be UTF-8 ,iso-8859-1 and Windows-1252, which transfer encoding should I use? Possible values for transfer encoding are :  Base64   , EightBit, QuotedPrintable, SevenBit, Unknown.

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  223
Posted: 19 February 2016 04:48 AM
[ # 3 ]

Hi Jayli,

Apologies for the misunderstanding!

We’ve had a look into this for you and I’m pretty sure Quoted Printable is the most common.

If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to ask!

Cheers
Alex