Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Possible to force desktop view for Android 5?

helenac

Total Posts:  7
Posted: 13 January 2016 03:36 PM

Hello, I have a layout with a two-columns (divs) that stack for mobile. One column has text, the other a single image. Seems it’s impossible to make the text column stretch to 100% of viewport for Android 5 without media queries. Is it?

Or, would love any clues on how to perhaps force a desktop view.

Thank you in advance.

arcteryx

Total Posts:  12
Posted: 13 January 2016 04:36 PM
[ # 1 ]

Here is how I understand what is happening with android these days…

Android has adopted the Gmail app as a reskinned version of its native app. So the newest versions of Android (5+) do not support media queries.

They will however scale you column width down do the lowest possible width to accomodate the content. That is, if your content is 200px, then you get a column of 200px. If you column is 600px you get a column of 600px. Therefore to force a full width (desktop view) for android, you need to put a row in your wrapping table that forces the full width: For example

<!—=== START FORCE WIDTH 600px FOR GMAIL ===—>   
          <tr class=“hideForMobile”><td>

<table cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“0” border=“0” align=“center” width=“600”>
      <tr>
      <td cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“0” border=“0” height=“1”; style=“line-height: 1px; min-width: 600px;”>
        spacer.gif
        </td>
      </tr>
    </table>

</td></tr>
        <!—=== END FORCE WIDTH 600px FOR GMAIL ===—>

where ‘class=“hideForMobile’ is ignored by Android/Gmail but picked up for other mobile email clients.

More info here (method 2) https://css-tricks.com/override-gmail-mobile-optimized-email/
and here:  https://litmus.com/community/code/274-force-gmail-app-to-render-desktop-version

helenac

Total Posts:  7
Posted: 13 January 2016 07:35 PM
[ # 2 ]

Thanks so much for your response, arcteryx. But it didn’t seem to work. My layout broke (stacked) anyway, with my text column remaining at 255px wide (instead of 100% of viewport)...