Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Outlook App on Android minimum font-size

adamkissaglis

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 07 January 2016 03:39 AM

Hi guys,

Don’t know if anyone else has noticed this but having ran tests on all clients on Litmus everything was checking out on the Ts & Cs of my email I was sending. Only issue was on checking the email on the Outlook app on my Android phone it was as if it had set a minimum font-size to all text.

(the email is non-responsive)

Any text that was over a certain size was left as set in styles but annoyingly made the Ts & Cs massive. It also didn’t affect the line-height in this block of text, which makes it a bit daft, so it was almost impossible to read.

It appears it’s “helping” users to see the content like Gmail’s app, but at least on Gmail you have the option to go back to using standard formatting.

I’ve listed below the inline styles and attributes and below the internal style applied to the table.

<table class=“col_prime” width=“600” border=“0” align=“center” cellpadding=“20” cellspacing=“0” style=“border-collapse: collapse;mso-table-lspace: 0pt;mso-table-rspace: 0pt;”>
              <tr>
                <td style=“border-collapse: collapse;font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;”>

.copy_terms {
      font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:9px;
  }

If I’ve missed something blatantly obvious to others please feel free to point it out, I’m relatively new to the dark side of HTML; emails.

Failing that, I can’t find anything else on the internets that suggest someone’s had the same issues.

Hope this at least raises some important questions about the rendering of emails on this app.

Cheers,

Adam

arcteryx

Total Posts:  12
Posted: 13 January 2016 05:34 PM
[ # 1 ]

I haven’t noticed this issue in outlook myself. But I would start with putting your font styles inline rather than in class declaration if you are not already doing that.
Also you could try     * {-webkit-text-size-adjust: none} in your header styles. Though my understanding is this is for web-kit clients/browsers only and outlook.com would be something else likely because its an MS product but maybe not.  You could also include the !important declaration after your font size.

I would start there.

adamkissaglis

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 19 January 2016 03:16 AM
[ # 2 ]

Thanks for the help Arcteryx, think I actually already had the webkit property in the header and this was copied and pasted before I inlined it, but there are some things to check, I’ll have a gander, thanks again.

aburmeister

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 09 October 2017 07:56 PM
[ # 3 ]

Outlook for android isn’t going to accept responsive design. It was designed to display as the desktop app would, so any mobile responsive elements you will throw in will not work.