Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Results differ on upload

tygatest

Total Posts:  3
Posted: 08 October 2015 07:39 PM

Hi

I have an esp (one you wouldn’t have heard of) who say their system doesn’t change any source code, but the results differ from when I send via them to the test, to when I upload via a URL.

Namely, my two column layout doesn’t fold to one column. Is the upload not as accurate?

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 08 October 2015 08:11 PM
[ # 1 ]

tygatest,
We don’t modify the code in any way. We go to your URL, capture the source code, and send it out for testing. It sounds like they are making changes to your code, but you would have to investigate more deeply to be sure. You can take a look at Code Analysis (the “<>” button next to your result) and copy that code out. Then check the “view source” on your hosted page and see if there are any differences. I would especially look to make sure that all media queries and classes are intact.

Let me know if you have more questions!

tygatest

Posted: 09 October 2015 09:23 AM
[ # 2 ]

Thanks for this.
It seems as if the Head is stripped out of the html on sending from my ESP - but that’s pretty normal isn’t it?
But it also strips out the body tag - so all I have is:

<meta charset=“UTF-8” />
<title></title>
<meta content=“width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0” name=“viewport” />
<style type=“text/css”>@media only screen and (max-width: 480px){
      #templateColumns{
        width:100% !important;
      }

.templateColumnContainer{
        display:block !important;
        width:100% !important;
      }

}
</style>
<table>
</table>

(I’ve cut out the table content as you don’\t need to see that! )
Can you see anything that could be causing the problem?
The media queries ARE there, and some are working, but it’s not folding my two columns into one?

I’m not sure what most ESP strip out?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 12 October 2015 03:38 PM
[ # 3 ]

Andy,
Can you send a shared test link with all mobile clients, one for the original code and one with the ESP modified code?

I’ll use that to see what’s going wrong.

tygatest

Posted: 13 October 2015 08:47 AM
[ # 4 ]

Thanks for this - I have attached both files - the original and the content the ESP spits out.

Stephen Jesson

Total Posts:  45
Posted: 14 October 2015 04:46 AM
[ # 5 ]

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for sharing those two files with us, however when I inspect them, they appear identical to me. I even used a comparison tool to be sure, and couldn’t see any differences.

I did run your ORIGINAL.html file through a Manual test however, and noticed that your campaign is responsive on iPhone, however - as expected due to their lack of media query support - your campaign remains two column in clients like Android 5.1.0, Android Gmail and Gmail App iOS 7.

It also remains two column in iPad 2, iPad Mini and iPad Retina as well however, so just to confirm, were these the mobile devices you were experiencing issues with? If you wouldn’t mind confirming which specific mobile devices you were seeing problems in, we can investigate further : )

If it is iPad which you’re not seeing change to a one column layout however, then you may wish to perhaps try adding the below media query to your existing code, which should target iPad, specifically:

@media only screen 
and (min-device-width 768px
and (
max-device-width 1024px

So perhaps give that a try in the meantime and do let us know how you go!