Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

End of Text symbol (aka unicode \u0003) showing up on random line breaks)

bonzerbariplayer

Total Posts:  6
Posted: 28 September 2015 06:52 PM

Hey guys, this one has been stumping me for a while so I appreciate any insight from someone more knowledgable than myself.

In Outlook 2007 & 2010, on very specific lines of text, regardless of whether there is a <br>,
or simply an automatic break in text, outlook is inserting the lower bracket symbol (aka End of Text, unicode \u0003).

I have tried almost everything to remove it. I’ve removed any unecessary text, spaces, tags from either side. I’ve tried putting a <span> the same color as the background around the line break, but the symbol still shows up the same color as the rest of the text, even if I hide symbols the same color as the background in between the span tags and break.

I’m at wits end. Please help! smile

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 9.50.52 PM.png

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 29 September 2015 08:58 AM
[ # 1 ]

bonzerbariplayer,
Can you add your email’s HTML to this thread? A shared test would be helpful as well.

Also, what are you sending with, and how have you been testing?

With that info I think I can get to the bottom of this.

bonzerbariplayer

Posted: 29 September 2015 10:07 AM
[ # 2 ]

Thanks Geoff, I appreciate it. The code is attached along with a test screenshot from Outlook 2010. You’ll see the symbol in the gray body copy (right hand side of the inhaler) and in the footer’s job code.

The client is sending with an email system operated by Nexxus. I have been testing by uploading the zip of html and image files here, running the test on all major clients.

You rock,
Alessandro

bonzerbariplayer

Posted: 29 September 2015 10:09 AM
[ # 3 ]

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 29 September 2015 10:15 AM
[ # 4 ]

bonzerbariplayer,
What are you using to send this email?

bonzerbariplayer

Posted: 29 September 2015 10:17 AM
[ # 5 ]

It’s being sent by Nexxus, I’m assuming on their proprietary platform. Not sure what the details of their setup are but they have been seeing similar results to what is showing up in the EOA test.

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 29 September 2015 12:35 PM
[ # 6 ]

bonzerbariplayer,
In the code you sent me, it shows those end of text “ETX” characters. Were these characters in your raw code (that you put into Nexxus to send?

Does this mean Nexxus is adding the end of text character, and the challenge is to figure out how to prevent it from adding this?

bonzerbariplayer

Posted: 29 September 2015 12:45 PM
[ # 7 ]

Can you please identify where you are seeing these characters in the code? What I sent you was my raw, original code and I am not seeing those ETX symbols in it. Even viewed within Texteditor as raw html, the code for that table cell in which I’m seeing the character is only:

<tr>
    <td bgcolor=”#dddddd” height=“10px” style=“min-height:10px;padding-top:10px;border-top:3px solid #ffffff;”> 8.9-g canister<br>(12 metered actuations)</td>
  </tr>

Please note, the forum here is removing some of the slashes so I am also including a screenshot of what I see code-wise

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 3.50.51 PM.png

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 29 September 2015 02:12 PM
[ # 8 ]

bonzerbariplayer,
In my text editor, Sublime, it appears as in the attached screenshot. It seems the extraneous character was introduced into your raw code somewhere along the way.

Image Attachments
ETX.jpg

bonzerbariplayer

Posted: 29 September 2015 04:53 PM
[ # 9 ]

Sublime did the trick! I downloaded the app and spotted them right away. Strange - neither TextEdit nor Dreamweaver showed that symbol. Thanks for mentioning that program and helping!

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 30 September 2015 11:50 AM
[ # 10 ]

Good to hear! I love Sublime, hopefully you’ll like it to.