Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

1 of 2

Recently Fixed Image Links Still Do Not Appear In Email On Acid Rendedred Messages

CMartin2013

Total Posts:  11
Posted: 28 September 2015 04:42 PM

Our QA images used to be inaccessible from the internet.
We have recently exposed them to the internet.
In most cases test emails now show images on devices and web pages, yet they do not show up in the email on acid rendered messages.  It seems like at some point, DNS cache has yet to update, or images are still cached from the broken links.  Does anyone know a way to force the DNS flush purge the image cache?
Please see the matrix below for details.

Email On Acid COMCAST (Chrome and Firefox on Win)  PASS
Email On Acid (All Else)      FAIL
Outlook for Mac 2011 v14.5.4   PASS  
Microsoft Outlook Web App   PASS  
iPad 2 iOS 5.1.1 (hotmail)        PASS  
Blackberry Playbook (hotmail)  PASS
Outlook.com (Firefox, Safari)    FAIL
Gmail (Chrome, IE9, Firefox)    FAIL
Hotmail (Chrome, IE9)              PASS  
Hotmail (Firefox)                FAIL
iPhone iOS 6.1 (hotmail)        PASS  
iPhone iOS 8.3 (hotmail)        PASS

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 29 September 2015 08:55 AM
[ # 1 ]

CMartin2013,
Sorry about that! We can’t manually flush those, but it should propagate every 24-48 hours. Are you still experiencing this issue now?

CMartin2013

Posted: 29 September 2015 09:47 AM
[ # 2 ]

Geoff,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I will test again today, but I made the change midday Friday.  I tested near the end of the day on Monday.  If your DNS refreshes every 48 hours, it still should have shown the images in the rendered messages. 
Again, most devices, fat clients, and web clients show the images in the test messages.  Most of the rendered messages show place holders for the images.  This isn’t a problem with production messages as their image repositories have always been visible from the internet.  I suspect either the DNS cache is old, or the images cached somewhere on the rendering side.  This is impacting our ability to test before going to production, so we are very interested in a solution.

Thanks again

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 29 September 2015 10:14 AM
[ # 3 ]

CMartin2013,
What exactly do you mean when you say, “We have recently exposed them to the internet.” ?

CMartin2013

Posted: 29 September 2015 10:39 AM
[ # 4 ]

At one point the images were viewable from outside our firewall.  Then, something changed and they were only viewable from within our intranet.  We pointed a Virtual IP from an internet facing address to the internal address for the image repository to expose it to the internet, but it was done with our external domain.  Messages written for our QA environment had an internal domain for all of the image links.  This resulted in missing images.  We then registered the QA domain and changed our DNS to point that domain to our image repository external IP.  This yielded positive results in most devices and computers, but not in Email On Acid’s rendered messages.  Yet, the rendered messages are essential to QA development and testing. 
We are retesting the failed mail clients now.  I will update with the results.

CMartin2013

Posted: 29 September 2015 10:43 AM
[ # 5 ]

All of the failures were re-tested and they still don’t show images.

CMartin2013

Posted: 29 September 2015 02:01 PM
[ # 6 ]

Also, when outside my firewall, if I look at a test message and “Preview HTML”, the images appear as they should!

Please help us get the images in the rendered Desktop, Mobile, and Webmail clients.

Thanks!

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 29 September 2015 02:14 PM
[ # 7 ]

CMartin2013,
Can you please add a code sample to this thread? We’ll check the links and try to see what’s going on.

CMartin2013

Posted: 29 September 2015 02:35 PM
[ # 8 ]

Attached. (This was from the preview HTML section)

CMartin2013

Posted: 29 September 2015 02:40 PM
[ # 9 ]

The URL validation tool shows that most of the images do resolve. (only 2 404 errors)

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 29 September 2015 03:44 PM
[ # 10 ]

When we put http://graphics.qa09.sea1.cmates.com/emailGraphics/mail/ls/ls20150303/icon_yb_pod_benefits.png into a browser, the image does not show up. (URL.jpg)

Just to check, when we just use the IP address http://208.84.46.14/emailGraphics/mail/ls/ls20150303/icon_yb_pod_benefits.png the images still don’t show up. (IP_address.jpg)

This points to a permissions issue, as these should be accessible from any internet browser.

Image Attachments
URL.jpgIP_address.jpg

CMartin2013

Posted: 29 September 2015 04:07 PM
[ # 11 ]

Attached zip has a screen shot with URL validation.

File Attachments
URLvalidation.zip  (File Size: 123KB - Downloads: 327)

CMartin2013

Posted: 29 September 2015 04:14 PM
[ # 12 ]

http://208.84.46.14/emailGraphics/mail/ls/ls20150303/icon_yb_pod_benefits.png is one of the links that passes in the URL validation test.  It also displayed an image for me.  I was able to repeat the failure on the other link that you mentioned.

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 30 September 2015 09:01 AM
[ # 13 ]

Did icon_yb_pod_benefits.png show in your tests? It sounds like the validation feature is working correctly, unless I’m missing something.

Let me know if the failure on the other link (that you were able to recreate) is cleared up by adjusting the permissions.

Please let me know if we can help with anything else.

CMartin2013

Posted: 30 September 2015 10:28 AM
[ # 14 ]

I don’t think that is the problem. 
All of the images in test messages show up properly almost everywhere except for the Inbox /Test Summary / Email Previews.  The rendered messages for each client, app, and webmail.  Those mostly don’t work, while real devices, mail clients and websites do work.  If it was a file permission problem, it wouldn’t work anywhere.  There must be a way to verify DNS resolution from within the machines that render those simulated messages.

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 30 September 2015 11:45 AM
[ # 15 ]

CMartin2013,
I’m not sure I understand. If the image is inaccessible from a web browser, an email client wouldn’t be able to access it. You said you were able to reproduce this issue.

Is there a specific image that is accessible from any web browser, but not in our tests? If so, please give me the URL and I will investigate.

1 of 2