Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Outlook 2010 Inconsistent Rendering

hyperx

Total Posts:  4
Posted: 14 May 2013 04:12 PM

We are having an issue with Outlook 2010 not rendering the same in our desktop clients as it is in Email on Acid. Here are screenshots of the issue.

In EOA
http://screencast.com/t/iFajLjaXvvO

In our Desktop Clients:
http://screencast.com/t/39e9y4UYI5

Can anyone help us understand why they are not consistent? This is making us concerned that we cannot rely on EOA as a testing platform.

Thanks.

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 14 May 2013 04:52 PM
[ # 1 ]

hyperx,
This discrepancy could be caused by a few different things. First, I am curious how you tested this in our Acid Test (URL, through the inbox, or entered HTML in the box) as well as how you sent the email to your personal Outlook2010 inbox. Some email clients will add/modify code upon sending.

Another variable is the width of the screen. We set our desktop clients at 600px width, and it looks like the screen shot from your personal Outlook 2010 is much wider.

I can assure you that the screen cap from us is a screenshot of an actual Outlook 2010 client with your email open (not a code-based preview or other emulation).

hyperx

Posted: 14 May 2013 05:08 PM
[ # 2 ]

We submitted the HTML via URL to EOA.

We sent the email to our desktops using an enterprise level ESP called WhatCounts. We have been using this tool for about 8 years and I know that it DOES NOT modify HTML on send.

This is the first time we have ever seen these differences and we’ve use EOA before every send for over a year now.

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 14 May 2013 05:14 PM
[ # 3 ]

hyperx,
Good to know, that eliminates one variable. Did you try making your outlook window smaller (about 600px) to see if that makes it look similar to the preview we provided?

I’ll send you an address so that we can test your email a little more and see where this discrepancy is coming from.

hyperx

Posted: 15 May 2013 02:17 AM
[ # 4 ]

This is not window size issue. Fonts that are rendering at different sizes in Outlook 2010 EOA than in Outlook 2010 desktop. This font size rendering is causing text to wrap that then throws off the whole design, but only on our desktop clients.

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 15 May 2013 02:08 PM
[ # 5 ]

hyperx,
Did you get my email about this? If you didn’t, let me know. Having a copy of the email sent the same way you are sending it would be very helpful. You can also try to replicate this behavior yourself, by sending the message from your ESP to your EOA inbox and then acid testing it from there.

A few ideas…

You may want to check your font-size or zoom settings in Outlook 2010, a custom setting could cause problems like this. Have you seen this behavior on more than one computer?

Do you use AVG security for your office? If so, it may be modifying code upon reception.

In the Message Format section of Outlook (Outlook Options > Mail > Message Format) there are a few options that might have caused this. One is “Reduce message size by removing format information not necessary to display the message.” This, as well as some of the other options in this section, could be the problem.

I hope one of these helps, but if not please let me know.

hyperx

Posted: 15 May 2013 04:54 PM
[ # 6 ]

I didn’t get the email.

I’m PM you my address.

Not a font-size/zoom issue. This problem is consistent across 6-7 different computers we tested on.

The IT department uses Barracuda for SPAM/Security could this be a culprit of changing code?

Have you seen the “Reduce message size” setting in Outlook set as default somehow? Just seems unlikely that so many employees would have changed that setting on their own.

Where would I find the EOA inbox email address?

Thanks

asouers

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 25 October 2013 07:54 PM
[ # 7 ]

I’d like to revive this. We’re experiencing the same issue and nothing I do seems to work. And of course, the only person here who has Outlook 2010 installed on a PC is my VP Marketing, so I hear about it with each. test. email. I. send. smile

Does every email marketer out there hold a secret I don’t? I thought I was pretty ahead of the curve with this stuff, but nothing I do seems to help.

acidadmin

Administrator
Total Posts:  43
Posted: 25 October 2013 08:14 PM
[ # 8 ]

LOL Asourse,

We feel your pain!!!  Have you tried using our testing service? We offer previews for Outlook 2007, 2010, and 2013.

This would allow you to test your email before your VP of Marketing see’s it. 

When viewing your test results, we also have a ton of tips and tricks posted which can help you with specific issues along the way.  We’ve been beating our heads against Outlook for the past 4 years now and I can assure you, it’s not an easy learning curve so don’t be too hard on yourself!

One final note: Per this thread above, it’s best if you send your test to our platform from your Email service vs. just cutting/pasting your HTML.

emergingdzns

Posted: 15 September 2014 05:34 PM
[ # 9 ]

Add me to the list of highly irritated and frustrated people that are experiencing this EXACT SAME problem.

I have a client that is using Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2007. MANY MANY hours have been WASTED on perfecting the emails (typcially it’s a table issue) and I get it just right so that EoA testing comes up looking EXACTLY how I want it to look on ALL email clients. I even went to making the emails responsive so that width shouldn’t be an issue.

But CLEARLY there is some setting that EoA’s Outlook 2007 and 2010 are using that aren’t standard because when I send the tests to the client, they are all jacked up.

I’ve tested the emails via emailing to the email address provided by EoA using the same marketing system we use for sending to the clients. I’ve also tried the copy/paste of the email HTML. Same problem. Tests perfect in EoA but client gets messed up emails.

I’ve wasted $50 on the EoA membership and countless hours trying to make this work.

Would appreciate if EoA would figure this out and fix it already.

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 15 September 2014 06:24 PM
[ # 10 ]

emergingdzns,
I’m very sorry that Outlook 2010 has been so frustrating. I took a look at your test “SDRW Responsive Concept” from 09-15-2014 at 11:58, and used the code to run a test from my own account as well as sending it to a coworker’s installation of Outlook 2010. My results, your results (in our system) and the coworker’s results all looked exactly the same.

Without knowing more about the specifics of what looks different on your client’s computer, it’s difficult for us to troubleshoot this problem. I can assure you that all of our email client installations use the default settings. Is it possible that your client has edited their settings?

We can do more to help you troubleshoot this if you’d like to send us an email to support {at} emailonacid.com. We’re happy to try and help you track down the source of this discrepancy.

Amplitude_Jon

Posted: 02 February 2015 08:58 PM
[ # 11 ]

Recently I encountered an instance in which an email would only render incorrectly on one user’s computer. The root cause was finally determined to be his global font size settings in Windows control panel were set to larger than 100% (that setting might be found under Display—but I don’t remember exactly). It had nothing to do with any Outlook settings or errors in code.

Seb8092

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 05 February 2016 07:03 AM
[ # 12 ]

We seem to be having a similar mismatch in rendering for Outlook 2010.

Top is Outlook 2010 rendered on both our in-house and our clients’ computers. Bottom is the Email on Acid version.

Any clue as to what the issue could be?

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 05 February 2016 10:26 AM
[ # 13 ]

Seb8092,
Can you attach the code for this email, as a .html file? With that I’ll try to find the cause of this discrepancy.

Seb8092

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 06 February 2016 06:23 AM
[ # 14 ]

Do you have a direct email I can send this to please? TY

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 09 February 2016 08:37 AM
[ # 15 ]

Seb8092,
Sure! Please send the code and any details about the discrepancy (I don’t see any images on your earlier post) to helpdesk [at] emailonacid.com