Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

What’s wrong with Helvetica?

info@galaxyninja.com

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 24 June 2010 02:11 PM

I am using something like this <font face=“Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif”> and I keep getting the error that the font face Helvetica is not supported by many email clients. I find that really strange, it is a common font.

Does anybody know what I should be using? Is it documented somewhere what font faces are good to use?

TIA,
Louis.

acidadmin

Administrator
Total Posts:  43
Posted: 24 June 2010 02:26 PM
[ # 1 ]

Greetings Louis, that is a great question. Recently we updated our test to check fonts stacks when using an OS based (Outlook, Entourage, Apple Mail, etc) email client. We added this for a couple of reasons.

1) We want to point out that not all fonts are common in all OS’s. You mentioned Helvetica, which is standard on Mac OS’s but not Windows.

2) We wanted to make sure that if you are using an non-standard font that you are using a font stack, which you are in your example.

If one sets the font to say Helvetica without any other fonts in the stack, it can dramatically affect the way the email will look in OS’s that don’t have that font installed by default.

I hope that answers your question.