Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Ipad Mail renders dates and time as links.

cobalt60

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 20 June 2012 01:48 PM

Hi There,

I have been a happy reader of this website but have yet to find out about something that’s really bugging me for some time on which i can’t seem to find a solution for. I have been googling all over but this specific problem i cannot solve.

It’s that iphone’s and ipad’s render all my dates and times to links. When clicked it asks if you want to make an appointment on that specific day or time. I have successfully bypassed the telephone number issue by styling a tel: href, but that isn’t appliccable on dates and times.

Is there a way to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

Marcus

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 20 June 2012 02:59 PM
[ # 1 ]

Hey Marcus,

Yup, here’s a link to another forum post which provides fix for that issue.

Cheers!
Miki

cobalt60

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 21 June 2012 06:37 AM
[ # 2 ]

Hi Miki,

Thanks for your reply, though your solution is to disable following of phone numbers and i have fixed that. Yet it still makes links from times and dates in e-mail. Let’s say i have a table with opening hours that say: Opening hours Mo - Fr 9:00 - 17:00 it creates a link for 9:00 - 17:00 when clicked triggers the calendar for iphone/ipad.

I tried spoofing the data with the special ascii codes like you suggested without success. Besides, that content is dynamic so if my customer changes it, i have to write a script that checks for dates and times and spoof them.

Marcus

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 21 June 2012 04:08 PM
[ # 3 ]

Marcus,

Yeah that’s a bummer… I just tried a variety of things and I can’t seem to disable it either.  I also searched for other meta tags that might do the trick to no avail.

Another option you have is to overwrite the styles so that users don’t know that they are links:

<style type="text/css">

iosDate a {color:#000000; text-decoration: none;}

</style>
<
span class="iosDate">Mo Fr 9:00 17:00</span

Miki