Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Outlook 2010 ignoring empty column widths

emilygarner

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 11 June 2012 06:52 AM

Hello. Historically, to get around Outlook 2010 stripping out padding and margins, I’ve used columns to create a left or right margin. This has worked like a dream for 2+ years. Lately however when I test my HTML, Outlook 2010 seems to ignore some of my empty columns entirely even though I specify a width. For the past several emails I’ve used a spacer image to create a margin but I don’t like this solution because it adds to the image count and can increase our spam scores.

Any update on what is causing Outlook 2010 to suddenly start ignoring columns?

Link to recent creative: http://www.hostinguc.com/ya/0612/3_YoungArtsEmail_061112.html

Screen shot of how it is rendering in Outlook 2010 attached. (You’ll see that the type is right next to the left side image in spite of there being a 12px column specified to give it a small margin.)

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 11 June 2012 08:23 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hi Emily,

I understand your frustration!  It seems like things are so hit or miss with Outlook!  Here are a few things that have worked for me in the past:

1.) Use the padding property inside your td and avoid having to create a spacer column.  I always try this first:

<table>
  <
tr>
    <
td style="padding-right:20px">

left col

</td>
    <
td>right col</td>
  </
tr>
</
table

(I just sent that to OL07 and it worked properly)

2.) If padding doesn’t work, try adding a non-breaking space or a “</br>” in the empty cell.

<table>
  <
tr>
    <
td>

left col

</td>
    <
td>
      </
br>
    </