Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

IOS 5 display issue??

stefan.lehmann

Total Posts:  6
Posted: 05 June 2012 09:46 PM

Hi I am working on an email that renders fine in everything except IOS 5 .  On IOS 5, it renders paragraphs in the footer very erratically.  The font color and text decoration will change within the paragraph (generally after a colon or slash in the text….)

it starts after a h4 that has text-decoration set to underline.

any ideas??

garuda

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 05 June 2012 09:59 PM
[ # 1 ]

Here is an example from a screenshot.  Each line is a paragraph, each with identical style, and no markup between the beginning and closing paragraph tag.

Ack, they say they are unsbale to accept attachments…

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 05 June 2012 10:19 PM
[ # 2 ]

This is the first we’ve heard of this type of issue on the iOS.  Any chance you could share a link to your test results?  Or place the image somewhere for all to see?

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 06 June 2012 05:30 PM
[ # 3 ]

By default, Safari on the iOS detects any text string that is formatted like a phone number and converts it to a link which allows users to call the number by simply touching it.

To remove this type of auto formatting try adding the following meta-tag:

<meta name="format-detection" content="telephone=no"

Another option is to spoof the iOS into thinking that your city and state are just another text string.

To do this, you can add an HTML entity in your address that it does not recognize:

&#173;Austin, &#173;TX &#173;78713-7458<br />
Phone512&#173;-555&#173;-1212<br />
(entity used: &#173;) 

Cheers!
Miki

NutraCea

Total Posts:  4
Posted: 29 June 2014 05:30 PM
[ # 4 ]

Thanks but neither of your “solutions” work.

This does absolutely nothing on iPad or iPhone:
<meta name=“format-detection” content=“telephone=no”>

And I tried using HTML entities for the colon “:” as I’m not even designating a phone no. or address.

I used Bible verses in my emails as in John 3:30 and have tried this:

<span style="text-decoration: none !important;">John 3&#58;30</span>

<span style="text-decoration: none !important;">John 3&colon;30</span

The thing is what I’m using the colon : with isn’t even a link and yet iPad and iPhone will still underline the number before and after the colon : ???

You think if they are going to ID the phone no. they would use more then just a “:” to do that. LOL

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.