Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

mailto: in hotmail being ignored

velvetsoup

Total Posts:  12
Posted: 30 May 2012 10:02 AM

hi, I have an email link in a HTML email mailto. For some reason the email is being ignored. Is there a special hack or does hotmail strictly forbid this code in HTML emails..

http://www.velvetsoup.co.uk/html-emails/1003_adstream_300512_AdPro/1003_adstream_300512_AdPro.html

velvetsoup

Total Posts:  12
Posted: 07 June 2012 07:59 AM
[ # 1 ]

I found out that if hotmail isnt setup as a default email application on someone machine then hotmail ignores the mailto. So I coded the mailto code to point to a contact window on our site.

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 07 June 2012 08:34 AM
[ # 2 ]

Ah ha, that makes sense.  Yeah I confirmed that the mailto wasn’t working for me either but I don’t think there is any way to overcome the issue from within the client itself. 

This is one more reason why it’s always better to include the address in the link so people can cut/paste.

For example, this is better:

<a href="mailto:address@mail.com">address@mail.com</a

than this:

<a href="mailto:address@mail.com">Contact Us</a

And of course the best way is to send them to a web page or contact form like you did.