Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

2 of 3

How long should a spam test take?

neil.west1

Total Posts:  16
Posted: 12 January 2012 02:39 PM
[ # 16 ]

Nearly an hour and still awaiting 11 results.

John Thies

Administrator
Total Posts:  59
Posted: 12 January 2012 05:44 PM
[ # 17 ]

To be honest I am not sure why your results are not getting recorded. We setup our SPAM test to record any SPAM results that were not associated with any tests and it has not logged any of the emails you have been sending. It’s as though they are never reach the recipients. Are you sure they are being sent correctly to each address? Is it possible that the system you are using to send the emails is blocking them or not even sending to Seed List recipients?

neil.west1

Posted: 16 January 2012 10:07 AM
[ # 18 ]

I’ve had 7 out of 18 results, so obviously some of the emails are getting through. As stated the emails are being sent en-masse as a single message from E3’s Direct Mail. I don’t know how the system works at your end, but this software records the link clicks/open rates etc and strangely, only the address ‘applemail4_spam@emailonacid.com’ is showing as having been opened on the 12th at 1.42pm GMT. Does this sound right? Are the emails actually opened at your end, or is it just the presence of them arriving that is recognised?

When checking on the dashboard, I am going back to the original test and clicking on the spam tab. Is this the correct way or am I supposed to be setting up a new test each time?

neil.west1

Posted: 16 January 2012 10:11 AM
[ # 19 ]

Also, can you let me know where you’re based please. I’m in the UK (GMT) and I assume you’re in the US. Currently this problem is taking way too long to solve because we’re only getting to exchange a couple of emails a day. If I know what time (GMT) you start work, I can devote more time to communications to try and get to the bottom of it.

John Thies

Administrator
Posted: 16 January 2012 02:18 PM
[ # 20 ]

Greeting Neil, we are based in Denver, Colorado (GMT 7).

Since we made the update (Post #11 01/11/2011) have you tried to resend the email to the Seed List? You are viewing the correct result by clicking on your original test from the Dashboard and then clicking on the SPAM Results tab.

When you view the SPAM results there will be a list of email addresses for the SPAM results that have yet to be processed. Try sending the email again (same ‘from’ address and ‘subject’) to those addresses and let us now if the remaining SPAM filters have a result in the test.

neil.west1

Posted: 16 January 2012 03:21 PM
[ # 21 ]

Hi John

I’ve resent the emails, and after 20 minutes I’ve still got the same results.

Do the emails actually get opened at your end? i.e. my software says they haven’t been opened, is this what I would expect to see?

Also, presumably you can see exactly what I can see on my dashboard, so you can see the seed list and results? Is there any benefit in running a test where you specify content/subject line etc to test whether the emails are coming through or not?

John Thies

Administrator
Posted: 16 January 2012 03:41 PM
[ # 22 ]

For some reason our system is not picking up the emails that you are sending. They aren’t even being caught as an unknown SPAM result, we track those so we can troubleshoot issues like this. Are you sure they are being sent to every account and not being blocked for some reason?

The only client that will open the email is Mac Mail. The rest of the SPAM filters will not trigger the “open” because we have images blocked by default.

neil.west1

Posted: 17 January 2012 09:31 AM
[ # 23 ]

I’ve contacted E3, the makers of the software we use and pointed them to this thread to see if they can cast any light on the situation - there’s no guarantee that they will.

Unfortunately for me, I’m stuck in the middle. I don’t know if it’s the email itself, the sending software or your software that is suffering problems, which is why I had asked if there was any benefit in running a test to see if the emails were coming through or not. Is there anything else I can do at my end to test whether it’s the sending software that is at fault?

John Thies

Administrator
Posted: 17 January 2012 03:00 PM
[ # 24 ]

Neil, I am very sorry that you are stuck in the middle. The only other option that I can think of is to coordinate a time where you send the emails to the seed list and we watch the SPAM filters to see if we received an email from you. That way we would know if the emails are reaching our system. Right now there is no way for me to check previous tests because once the email is processed its deleted.

While you are waiting for E3 to check the thread you could always run a SPAM test using the EOA option. That way you can at least check if the subject and content pass the SPAM filters.

neil.west1

Posted: 17 January 2012 04:14 PM
[ # 25 ]

I’ve retested the email using EOA spam checker, and all but 2 have completed their tests. I have 3 fails and 1 neutral.

So, spam results aside, what does this tell me about the results from the previous test i.e. based on this email being exactly the same as the previous, just not sent via our broadcast software, does this show that you definitely didn’t receive the previous emails? Do I know need to speak to E3 to find out why the emails aren’t getting through?

John Thies

Administrator
Posted: 17 January 2012 05:40 PM
[ # 26 ]

Which two results did not complete for you when you ran the EOA test?

The EOA test will only test on subject and content. Since the SPAM test emails are sent from our mail servers, our IP is tested when ISP’s do an IP reputation check not your email (or ESP) servers IP’s. So if the server that is used to send your emails is on a blacklist or is considered a “spammer” IP; then each ISP (yahoo, hotmail, etc) spam result might be different.

FYI, the SPAM results that you can guarantee to be accurate using the EOA test method is the client email applications (i.e. Outlook 03/07/10, MacMail etc) because they do not check IP reputation. They only do subject/content checks.

Does that answer your questions?

neil.west1

Posted: 18 January 2012 12:48 PM
[ # 27 ]

Gmail and Barracuda tests still haven’t come in yet.

Of the client email applications, both Outlook 2010 and Mac Mail failed, which seems strange as I run Mac Mail (standard setup), and the email from Direct Mail came through okay. There again, it was a recognised domain that it was coming from, so that could be the reason for that.

John Thies

Administrator
Posted: 18 January 2012 02:32 PM
[ # 28 ]

Barracuda can be delayed slightly, when did you last check the result? Recently?

neil.west1

Posted: 18 January 2012 02:42 PM
[ # 29 ]

Just checked - still missing!

BTW it’s getting a bit irritating having to log in constantly, can you not have a ‘remember password’ or ‘keep me logged in’ facility on the site?

Zanshin

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 18 January 2012 09:13 PM
[ # 30 ]

I burned a credit on a spam check about an hour ago.  I used the “Send to a seed list from my ESP” option.

The first time I visited the Spam Results page I saw a negative (red) results for Postini, Gmail, and Spam Assassin.  After navigating away and coming back, those have gone back to “Checking email client for result…” and only DKIM, Mac Mail, and the three Outlooks show results (all green).

Given how this is working now, I can’t recommend it to my clients.  I’d really like to, since it purportedly covers a good range of spam filters.  But it’s impossible to tell if the seed messages were received or processed.  Disappearing results certainly doesn’t make sense.

2 of 3