Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Odd display issue in Outlook 2007

mwise

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 01 November 2011 04:42 PM

Tested a particular email in all browsers (using both Email on Acid and a similar service, Litmus), no errors, everything displays correctly.

Email campaign was delivered, however in one particular client’s email browser they are getting an odd display issue.

Here’s the Acid results:
http://www.emailonacid.com/app/acidtest/viewresult/6boWXaaBPXa12BrSK2llpq9XiKcq7XrV4Bb

Note that the email delivery itself is done by another party, any ideas if there’s anything that could have happened on their end?

I’m tempted to just think it’s an issue on the user’s end, but anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 01 November 2011 08:19 PM
[ # 1 ]

mwise,

Wow, interesting. I have a few questions:

1.) Did our test results look the same as Litmus?
2.) When I look at the second link (the Acid test results) I notice a white box in Outlook 2007 but not in 2010.  In my experience, those two clients are the exact same so this draws a flag.  Any chance I can take a look at the original HTML?
3.) You mentioned that the email is sent by a third party, did you use that third party to send to our Email on Acid “inbox” for testing?  Did you do the same for Litmus? If not, it might be good to take this discussion offline and try it both ways so we can get to the bottom of it.

Feel free to open this test in your archive and under the “Developer Tools” drop down, select “Report a Discrepancy” - that will create an open ticket with our dev team and it will send us your HTML so we can go from there.

Cheers!
Miki

mwise

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 01 November 2011 08:28 PM
[ # 2 ]

Thanks for the prompt response Miki!

1) Yep, consistent with Litmus.

2) I noticed that too, but as it’s such a weird thing to happen I thought it was probably due to the screencapture capturing the page before it had loaded completely.

3) Unfortunately not. Still trying to get access to the final delivered email. Basically I’m just trying to eliminate the possibility that there was an error on my end!

Just sent a ticket!

Thanks!

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 02 November 2011 10:28 AM
[ # 3 ]

Yeah that is really ODD!

I just sent your source to my local version of Outlook 2007/Vista and everything rendered correctly.

Then I re-ran the same source in our testing platform and I see the same white box that you did in Outlook 2007 but not in Outlook 2010:
Acid Test Result
(link will expire in 15 days)

I don’t think it’s a screen capture issue, it might be caused by a Windows update or version of Windows.

I also tried adding a DOCTYPE so that I could validate your code.  The only potential issue that I see is on line 146. You are missing a close </span> and you need to remove the close </font>. But I really don’t think that’s what is causing this.

In looking at the interpretation from Outlook 2007, that line of text this is in the white box is not broken out:

<class=MsoNormal align=center style='text-align:center;'><a

>&url=http://offers.disneylandparis.co.uk/flash-sales/index.xhtml?ecmp=y&cliczone=VISUEL1"

target="_blank"><span style='font-size:8.5pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:white;border:none windowtext 1.0pt;padding:0in;text-decoration:none;'>Kids under 7 or 12 get </span><strong><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial Black","sans-serif";color:white;border:none windowtext 1.0pt;padding:0in;text-decoration:none;'>FREE</span></strong><span
      style
='font-size:8.5pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:white;border:none windowtext 1.0pt;padding:0in;text-decoration:none;'hotel

park tickets depending on your arrival date!</span></a></p

I have never seen anything like this glitch before, I will run it by my dev team to see if they have any ideas.