Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Is EOA spot-on for all rendering…Is it completely full-proof?

webexperience

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 09 September 2011 01:21 AM

We tested our emails in EOA and made sure everything rendered correctly with images on and off in all email clients. We also validated our code as well in WC3 Validator. When we shot off our files to our email blast vendor - they sent us back our emails for one last review. When those emails came in my Outlook 2003 inbox - there were definitely some variations that EOA did not show during our testing. Some of the variations included tables changing widths, and in images off mode, table cells moving as well.

I guess my main question is…is EOA spot-on for all rendering? We made sure everything looked perfect so we can’t figure out why it looked different when their final drafts came back to us. Or could this possibly be something on our vendor’s end? Maybe they manipulated our code before sending back to us, or is there another explanation for the inaccuracies we saw?

Thanks!
Jen

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 09 September 2011 03:37 AM
[ # 1 ]

Jen,

The quick answer to your question is that screen captures are always 100% accurate.  They are an exact representation of how your email rendered in a particular email client.

The issue that you might be experiencing with Outlook 2003 is rather complex.  Here is what we know:  When someone installs Outlook 2003 for the first time, that installation uses the version of Internet Explorer(IE) that is installed on that particular OS as it’s rendering engine. After the installation, if the user upgrades from IE 6 to IE 7(for example), Outlook will still use the original version of IE (in this case IE6). 

As you may know there are rather extreme differences between each version of IE so chances are, you are looking at a different variation of our Outlook 2003 install.

We plan to add more variations for Outlook 2003 and Outlook Express so that you can test every possible variation but we do not have an exact timeline as to when that will be released.

I hope this provides some clarity to an otherwise frustrating topic.  We are kinda baffled by how many variations there are for email developers to contend with.

webexperience

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 09 September 2011 01:16 PM
[ # 2 ]

Thank you for your response. This really helps! I had a feeling it could have had something to do with the original installation of Outlook on my computer which had IE6 installed at the time.