Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Code showing in red but displaying okay in view?

Sgal

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 22 September 2009 08:06 AM

Am unclear as to what it means when, for example, for Outlook 2007 my test e-mail displayed okay, but indicated there were 22 problems
and I see lots of the html appearing in red, although it seems to be displaying just fine in the screen shot of the message display.  It seems to indicate that Outlook 2007 doesn’t do css at all, yet most of the message seemed to work as intended…

When I look at the code, among other reported errors I see reference to code that is not even in my message style sheet “li.msoAcetate {
mso-style-link: “balloon text char”
}

Am also surprised to see in Outlook 2007 errors that the code provided by Constant Contact, which is the service we use, is being marked as a problem???

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 22 September 2009 09:51 AM
[ # 1 ]

I think some of our users are getting confused by our terminology of “errors” reported.  We intend to change the terminology to “discrepancies.”  A discrepancy may or may not alter the final layout in a way that is unpleasing and in many instances, a programmer may use certain properties that work for a majority of email clients but not for others.  In fact, in certain circumstances they are FORCED to use code that isn’t supported in all clients just so that the result will render correctly in others. In summary, if you think it “looks” just fine, don’t worry too much about a discrepancy, this feature was designed for HTML/CSS coders.   

As for Outlook 07!  Outlook 07 is the only email client that completely translates your code.  Essentially Outlook 07 is using a Microsoft Word engine which is extremely limiting for designers!  Do a google search on the subject and you will quickly see what I am talking about.

So the code analysis result you are seeing for Outlook 07 is actually their interpretation of the code you submitted.  Again if your email looks ok, don’t worry about it but if you see something that is really getting dis configured its good to bring it up to your Email Service Provider or designer and introduce them to this tool.

fingerprn

Total Posts:  3
Posted: 01 October 2009 04:11 PM
[ # 2 ]

I noticed that “discrepancies” are outlined in red and literal text is in a red font. Kinda confusing. May be better to put text in another color.

acidadmin

Administrator
Total Posts:  43
Posted: 20 November 2009 02:04 PM
[ # 3 ]

Check out this post for more information regarding the way we use the term “discrepancy” in our test result:

http://www.emailonacid.com/create-html-email/details/C12/email-preview