Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Outlook 2007 - extra line break within a paragraph

srarden

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 10 August 2011 09:58 PM

I’m hand-coding HTML emails, and every so often I have an email where a paragraph of text in Outlook 2007 has a blank line of space added somewhere in the middle of the text (it varies on where it appears).  In one case, the very last word is dropped down two lines - if I remove the space between it and the word before it, both get dropped down.

I’ve converted to ASCII, and tried to make sure any special characters that might be in the text are taken out - and the space is still there.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

Thank you!

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 10 August 2011 10:13 PM
[ # 1 ]

Hey Srarden,

Check out this article for some recommendations:
http://www.emailonacid.com/blog/details/C13/horizontal_spacing_issues_in_outlook_2007_and_2010

Good luck wink

laurenashley

Total Posts:  1
Posted: 09 September 2011 11:07 PM
[ # 2 ]

I’m not sure the article provided addresses this particular spacing issue - at least I didn’t find information regarding that weird extra line space that is occurring inside the paragraph in the article.

I’m having the same problem with Outlook 2007 only.  I am not using div, span, or p tags.  I’ve read elsewhere that a space after a span or p tag can cause this in the last line of a paragraph, so that might be an avenue for those who are using those tags.

I have my text wrapped within font tags inside of my table cell (which is the ONLY way to get text formatting to render somewhat correctly across all Outlook 2007 versions).  There is a slightly larger space before the last line of text.  I’ve used a css rule in the head of my html to reset the lineheight of all td tags to 100%, and have specified an inline line-height of 12px for this cell and for the font tag wrapping my text. I can’t seem to get rid of this extra space…

Anyone? Thnx!

Michelle Klann

Administrator
Total Posts:  204
Posted: 10 September 2011 09:12 PM
[ # 3 ]

Lauren,

Any chance you could send me the URL to your email?  Either that or insert your sample code via forum post. 

Is the space occurring 1/2 way down the page?

Miki