Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

iOS Gmail app and superscript characters

Chris.Ducharme

Total Posts:  21
Posted: 28 November 2017 09:44 AM

For years I have been using the virtually bullet proof method for superscript copy in emails, for eexample

<sup class="sup" style="font-size:7px;line-height:0;vertical-align:4px;" >®</sup

However, recently in the Gmail iOS app on iOS 10 capture here on EOA, these superscript “®” are now appearing huge, nearly 4 times larger than the copy and rendering in a a shade of blue with no underline.

The shade of blue does not match any hex in the CSS, default hyperlink blue, or default link coloring. 

I can’t figure out exactly what is happening here.  Anyone come across this before and know how to fix it?

I have attempted replacing the sup tag with a span tag thinking that some style might be being applied to the tag specifically, but that made no difference.

Chris.Ducharme

Total Posts:  21
Posted: 28 November 2017 10:12 AM
[ # 1 ]

Digging around a little more I have found that that the inline styling or sup/span tag are not the root cause of this issue. 

Gmail appears to be altering ® and ©, and if they appear in the middle of a line of copy without any styling the result is the same.

So far playing with ® and ® makes no difference, the same result.  Same with Copyright symbol apparently.

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  230
Posted: 29 November 2017 08:02 AM
[ # 2 ]

Hi Chris,

Google (in their ever-infinite wisdom) have decided to make this change in Gmail on iOS. We’re under the impression that it is not going to be a long-term thing and they are going to be reverting it shortly.

In the mean time, we wrote a great blog about how to reset these: https://www.emailonacid.com/blog/article/email-development/gmail-ios-replacing-copyright-symbols-with-blue-emoji-and-how-to-fix-it

Hope that helps!

Alex