Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Email stretching to 100% width in Outlook

saintleo

Total Posts:  7
Posted: 28 June 2017 06:41 AM

Hi,

I use a fluid-hybrid template for all of my emails. I have been using this same template for quite awhile with successful results. I think something changed this past week in Outlook because now when I test using this same template, the email is stretching to 100% width in Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, & 2016. It always tested correctly before this week, so I’m wondering what has changed or if you have any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

I’ve attached screenshots here from my EoA test, one that shows how the email should look (and used to look) and one that shows what it’s doing now in Outlook.

Thanks for any help!

Image Attachments
correct.jpgstretched.jpg

saintleo

Posted: 28 June 2017 05:58 PM
[ # 1 ]

Also, I just did a test using one of the Email on Acid templates provided in the Resources area (also fluid-hybrid) and the same thing happened in Outlook (whether I inlined the styles or not). So, I don’t believe it’s an issue with my template or with the platform I use to send the emails (Blackbaud NetCommunity Grow).

I haven’t been able to find an answer to this anywhere online yet and really need to fix this issue, so all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

itzgiggz

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 05 July 2017 12:51 PM
[ # 2 ]

can you provide a link to the template so we can test/ debug ?

saintleo

Posted: 05 July 2017 02:40 PM
[ # 3 ]

Here’s the web version of the email:
https://your.saintleo.edu/emailviewonwebpage.aspx?erid=6939406&trid=66becb7c-3a93-40f8-930b-8b2becbcb730

I have been looking into this issue more and I think it might have to do with my email sending platform. We use BBNC (Blackbaud Netcommunity Grow), a tool for higher education. They had some updates to their email area right before I started having this issue. I have spoken with their support people and they are looking into it as well, but think it’s an Outlook rendering issue.

I tested this email through MailChimp as well and it was perfectly fine, so I’m having trouble believing that it’s an error in the template or with Outlook because of that.

But, if you have any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

I’m wondering if the BBNC updates no longer support my fluid-hybrid template and I need to use a media queries one instead. Unfortunately, I can’t send the emails from anywhere else (like from MailChimp), so I have to make it work within the BBNC platform.

Thanks!

mykel7

Posted: 16 July 2017 12:01 AM
[ # 4 ]

On image source declare twice the width of the image;

eg.  img src=”” style=“width:600px;” width=“600”

hopefully this will solve the issue.

girwin

Posted: 20 July 2017 11:00 AM
[ # 5 ]

I also use BBNC to send emails for a university, and am encountering this exact problem today. No matter what I try, Outlook stretches the body of the email to 100% width.

I am using media queries, so that probably won’t fix your issue. Also, I have IF MSO statements in my email body, to account for MS weirdness, but maybe there’s something else? The code editor on BBNC that I paste my email code into has changed, and I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Very frustrating; please let me know if you find a fix and I’ll do the same!

Thanks!
George

saintleo

Posted: 20 July 2017 11:37 AM
[ # 6 ]

Hi George!

So, here’s what I’ve found out so far. The update to the most recent version of BBNC (7.1) broke fluid-hybrid email templates in Outlook. BBNC support is not helping with this issue, insisting the problem is with my template. Though, in the previous version (6.64), the same template worked just fine, and it also still sends fine through MailChimp.

Unable to solve this issue (I did test the solution posted by mykel7 above, but it didn’t solve the problem unfortunately, thanks mykel for the suggestion though!), I have now changed over to a media queries template, which does work in BBNC (of course, it will not look super great in your gmail mobile tests since it doesn’t support media queries, why I was avoiding this kind of template in the first place).

BBNC has apparently provided some new responsive media queries templates that we can use for 7.1. They are here if you want to check those out: https://community.blackbaud.com/blogs/66/3721

They are not installed by default in BBNC, so you may not have known about them. I certainly didn’t. That link tells you how to load them in as well.

I have been using a free media queries template from EmailMonks because it comes with a lot of layout options. I’ve used this for a few emails now and my test results through EoA have looked pretty good across the board (even in Outlook!). I’ve attached that template here as a .zip file if you want to give that a shot. Just be very careful when deleting layout sections that you don’t need, that can mess you up.

That’s where I am with this. If I hear anything else or push this with BBNC support further, I’ll let you know. But right now, it’s just easier to start using media query templates that are working and leave my fluid-hybrid template alone until maybe they fix whatever they did to the email editor hmmm

Hope that helps!

- Renee

File Attachments
Master_Templates.zip  (File Size: 112KB - Downloads: 16)

girwin

Posted: 20 July 2017 01:19 PM
[ # 7 ]

Interesting, Renee. Thank you for the link and the templates; I switched to a full-width template from mailchimp in the meantime and that seems to be a short-term solution.