Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Yahoo! Issues

Chris.Ducharme

Total Posts:  20
Posted: 10 April 2017 01:59 PM

Has Yahoo! rolled back their systems?

I’m finding media query support dodgy at best, if it supports it at all.  I’m also finding it’s stripping “display: none” again…  Also appears to be stripping “!important”.

Sighs.

Anyone know what’s up?

marjoleinverheij

Total Posts:  31
Posted: 11 April 2017 10:46 AM
[ # 1 ]

I don’t think Yahoo is supporting media queries anymore. I myself am seeing templates that were responsive in the Yahoo app suddenly show as desktop version again since a couple of months.

Display none isn’t supported inline (it’s stripped), but it is supported in the css in the <head>. So if the element you want to hide has a class you can hide in in the head css using that class.

Chris.Ducharme

Total Posts:  20
Posted: 11 April 2017 12:56 PM
[ # 2 ]

With much trial and error I have it figured out.

Templates that worked last week were no longer working.  Since I code the mobile layout first Yahoo! desktop was showing the mobile layout.

I found some of my media query elements were working, while others were not.

First I found that !important was being stripped.  But if you don’t have a space between the css property and !important it wouldn’t strip it.  But then still some properties in a media query based on min or max width wouldn’t work.  I found for these ones though if you put the same css inside a “@media screen yahoo”  I haven’t figured out yet why some properties inside a standard media query with a !important declaration without a space aren’t rendering yet, but work inside the @yahoo.

As for the display none.  I always have had both inlined and in the style tags on the head.  This has always worked for me, but I have been finding over the last couple days that the display none now needs to have !important on it, without a space to work.  So it has to be in the media queries so you can override it on mobile. 

This is not ideal for supporting both desktop and mobile layouts with Yahoo!.  But at least for me, where we only Test on Android Native, Gmail and iOS Native mail apps, having the desktop version of Yahoo! right is enough.

marjoleinverheij

Total Posts:  31
Posted: 12 April 2017 01:58 PM
[ # 3 ]

That’s just weird… Luckily our clients don’t use Yahoo, so I only make sure a template looks good in the desktop versions and ignore the app. My templates show the desktop version in my app, which is fine by me. If people want to read the text they can just zoom in.