Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Outlook 2003 issue with Mail Chimp

gfitzpatrick2

Total Posts:  4
Posted: 16 February 2017 09:32 AM

I’m testing a mailchimp campaign in Email on Acid, and I’ve noticed in Outlook 2003 all of the content extends all the way to the sides. Is there any way to contain this to the 600px width? You will see whatit is suppose to look like in other email clients

https://www.emailonacid.com/app/acidtest/display/summary/QAsAhj4gaYwZDQRSUnZ7tcP6EPmnZ7QHb3ZG7GjRK8qqG/shared

Thanks!

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  221
Posted: 16 February 2017 09:35 AM
[ # 1 ]

Hi gfitzpatrick2,

Welcome to the Email on Acid forums!

This error could be due to any number of reasons. Is this a default template from Mailchimp or one coded specifically for you?

Many thanks,
Alex

gfitzpatrick2

Posted: 16 February 2017 09:36 AM
[ # 2 ]

Hey Alex,

This is a default template. The Basic One Column template.

Alex Ilhan

Administrator
Total Posts:  221
Posted: 17 February 2017 03:39 AM
[ # 3 ]

Hi gfitzpatrick2,

I suspected as much. I believe this may due to how the content has been entered into the template. They can be a little tricky to get right.

I do have faith in the MailChimp templates, and their support team could be better suited to assist you. What you can do, if you don’t mind, is to run a test with the blank Basic One Column template and see if the error still occurs before you put the content in. If you would do that and share the link we can determine whether it’s a template issue or not.

Many thanks,
Alex

gfitzpatrick2

Posted: 17 February 2017 08:49 AM
[ # 4 ]

Hey Alex,

Thanks for the rely. I tried that and the issue doesn’t seem to be going away. I think I have found a solution though. The problem is the template container table has a max-width: 600px !important rule which outlook 2003 doesn’t seem to follow. I have fixed this by exporting my campaign as an HTML file, adding width: 600px to the template container table and copy/pasting the template into mailchimp. This seems to have fixed the issue.

I do lose the ability to customize blocks within the mailchimp interface after doing this though, which is unfortunate. I can however set everything up before hand and fix this bug lastly.

Thanks for your help!
Greg