Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

Domain name changes

peterroysorenson

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 15 December 2016 07:46 AM

Hey crew, very specific question that is critically important to me at the moment.

If I change my domain name.  Thus also my MX record. Thus also my sending/receiving email address.

Will my reputation that I have built so carefully with the ISP’s take a BIG HIT?

Thanks in advance for anyone that knows the answer to this question.

Peter

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 15 December 2016 07:49 AM
[ # 1 ]

peterroysorenson,
Welcome to the forum!

I am by no means an expert on this, but as far as I know you’ll be starting from scratch. Well, scratch plus the reputation of whatever ESP you’re using to send, as their sending servers will already have some reputation.

peterroysorenson

Total Posts:  2
Posted: 15 December 2016 09:03 AM
[ # 2 ]

Thanks Geoff!!

gilbert

Total Posts:  3
Posted: 16 December 2016 02:52 AM
[ # 3 ]

You could keep the old domain to use for email dispatch, then link to the new domain in the emails you send. You might want to also redirect traffic from the old domain to corresponding or equivalent pages on the new domain. This will accommodate any old emails you previously sent out with links to the old domain. After a year, you can drop the old domain once you’ve gradually moved your dispatch to the new domain and built up a good reputation there.