Community Forum

Over the years we have built up a community of email marketers, coders and designers that live and breathe email.

Use the Email on Acid Forum like your virtual water cooler: Stop by to discuss email code, quirky clients and fixes and post your issues (with an example of the code) for our community to offer its assistance.

broken image icon appears instead of svg image

ucsfsop

Total Posts:  5
Posted: 14 December 2016 06:17 AM

When I send my email to EOA, the test results show a broken image icon appearing where an svg image should appear, and this is true for all platforms where I believe it should work (Apple Mail, Outlook 2016 for Mac, all iOS devices). When I send the same email to my personal email account and view it in Apple Mail on iOS it appears as expected (IMG_2393-600 2.png).

In the email, there are two logos at the top. The first is the SVG with PNG fallback. The second is PNG only (for comparison).

Test share: https://www.emailonacid.com/app/acidtest/display/summary/n82Zt7DFyO8aV4Vhq4Qca7d69otGVylrlOpuWEbc7Buut/shared

(Since the logo is white, if when troubleshooting you view it by itself on a white background you won’t be able to tell it’s there.)

Image Attachments
IMG_2393-600 2.png
File Attachments
2016.1212 draft 4 based on seashells mailchimp.html  (File Size: 72KB - Downloads: 75)

Geoff Phillips

Total Posts:  386
Posted: 14 December 2016 06:27 AM
[ # 1 ]

ucsfsop,
Thanks for the heads up! We’re looking into this issue now and we’ll get back to you as soon as we have more info.

ucsfsop

Posted: 03 January 2017 10:50 AM
[ # 2 ]

Hi, Geoff, any news on this issue? Thanks!

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 04 January 2017 01:49 AM
[ # 3 ]

ucsfsop,
Sorry about the delay on that! This issue should now be fixed. I checked using your code, and the SVG images appeared in all supported clients.

Please let us know if you’re still seeing broken SVG images.

ucsfsop

Posted: 04 January 2017 08:26 AM
[ # 4 ]

Thanks, Geoff. I see that the problem is fixed for a lot of devices where it should work (e.g., iOS).

However, I still see broken SVG image icons in various Gmail contexts using the “SVG with JPG fallback” technique described at https://css-tricks.com/a-guide-on-svg-support-in-email/ , and I also see the same thing when I send direct to my Gmail account. Consequently I’m giving up on SVG for now.

If you have a sample file that uses the SVG with JPG Fallback technique that works in Gmail on Chrome for Windows or Mac, I’d love to see it.

https://www.emailonacid.com/app/acidtest/display/summary/dCA3n2gbrK8zR0Zm25sFFr5FVTMB6cJVunT1MJBjAsPsk/shared
is my test run. At the top our logo is expected to appear twice: the first version is the SVG with fallback (PNG in this case), and the second is PNG only.

Geoff Phillips

Posted: 04 January 2017 09:07 AM
[ # 5 ]

ucsfsop,
Unfortunately I am not familiar with this technique. If I come across one, I’ll be sure to let you know.

I’m glad to know that our display is now matching a direct send to gmail, though!