Share/Save/Bookmark

Email Responsive Design
Posted: 31 January 2013 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-04-17

I am working on email responsive design and find it difficult when it comes to testing as I don’t have access to various devices that dominate the market today.
I have a limited budget to buy a selection of android phones, so what are the decisions I need to make when it comes to testing in relation to responsive emails?  Should I be buying any android models, models with different operating systems etc? The leading types are Galaxy S3, S2, Note and Ace according to stats.  At the moment, most of these devices are updatable to the latest Android Operating system but that might not be the case with other android devices.
Also, even though Galaxy S3 dominates the market, stast show that just over 50% of android phones are on two year old gingerbread OS. I am not sure what is more important when it comes to testing, the phone model or the operating system?

What about HTC and windows phones?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Nerkesa

Posted: 31 January 2013 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2009-08-23

Nerkesa,

You should just sign up for our service, it would be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying several devices.

This page contains a listing of all the devices/email clients that we currently support:
http://www.emailonacid.com/email-preview

Cheers,
Miki

Posted: 31 January 2013 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-04-17

Hi Miki,

Thanks for replying.

I am actually using your system for testing but I am not sure how accurate the results are. Mobile emulators don’t seem to work when it comes to testing email rendering on mobile devices. Do you run it through an emulator or test on real devices?

Many thanks,

Nerkesa

Posted: 31 January 2013 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2009-08-23

We take real screenshots in 90% of our supported email clients and mobile devices.

If you look at that link I sent in my last post, we have a list of our supported clients along with a * for screen captures vs. code based previews (emulations).

Currently we support screen captures for the most popular Android OS’s to date: 2.3 (Gingerbread) and 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Same with the most popular iOS devices.

Technically the Android OS is supported across a variety of different screens and resolutions as you mentioned above.  We’ve had talks about supporting additional resolutions and/or Android devices so if you’d like to vote for one, feel free to chime in.

Miki

x

And get updates on the latest email tips, tricks and hacks!