Forum

Got questions? We’ve got answers...

Images blocked in Outlook.com
Posted: 21 January 2013 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-08-25

Hi All,

I have recently come across an issue with outlook.com.  It seems that when I use the same image several times within the same email, the 1st image will show and any after that are blocked. I am wondering if anyone has had this issue before and if anyone knows of a fix for it.

I have tested the same email in Chrome, IE9, Firefox 17.0.1, Opera 12.12 and Safari 5.1.7, and all are showing the same results.  I have also tested this email in outlook 2013 and it doesn’t seem to happen there.

Thanks,

Rach.

Posted: 21 January 2013 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-02-08

I’m having the same problem where I have one image (the first) appearing and the other two exact same images not showing.

Also, margin-bottom and margin-right don’t seem to be working either on <div> or tables. I wonder if this has to do with what seems to be a transition to outlook.com.

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2012-11-14

Rach.,
I tried to recreate this but so far I haven’t been able to. If you found a solution I would love to know about it. If you’re still experiencing this problem and you’d like some help with it, could you please share your results or source code with me?

Regards,
Geoff Phillips
Email on Acid

Posted: 25 January 2013 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-08-25

Hi Geoff,

Here is a link to the html I am testing:

http://creat3r.com/hotmail-images-test.html

The chevrons in the ‘More info’ buttons are .jpg images, and all three are the same image. It seems that when I open this email in outlook.com, the first image shows, and the rest are blocked.  This also happens to the spacer images that I have used.

The only fix I have found so far is to use a different file for each image, which will not be so good, having to host multiple files of the same image.

Posted: 25 January 2013 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2012-11-14

Rach,
Are you seeing this in our preview system? I tried your code and was unable to replicate the problem. Take a look at my results here: http://www.emailonacid.com/app/acidtest/viewresult/gjZmYgEwAYfpUAcmMx6todNh2pvkcjVCodZHuLNE4gCMd/CA

Do you have a preview result that shows this behavior that you could share with me? If I could replicate the problem I’d be happy to help.

Posted: 29 January 2013 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-08-25

Hi Geoff,

I have been testing this in my own outlook.com email client.  This is where I first spotted the issue.

Here is a screenshot of what I can see:

http://creat3r.com/outlook-image-test.png

Thanks,

Rach.

Posted: 30 January 2013 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-08-25

I have found a fix!

I have added a #number to the end of each image link:

small-green-cta-chevron.jpg#1
small-green-cta-chevron.jpg#2
small-green-cta-chevron.jpg#3

This make’s each link unique, forcing outlook.com to see each one as a different image. I have tested this and as far as I can see it works across all clients and browsers.

But please let me know if you find another way of fixing this issue smile

Many thanks!

x

And get updates on the latest email tips, tricks and hacks!