Forum

Got questions? We’ve got answers...

Yahoo displaying emails twice
Posted: 26 October 2011 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-10-17

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had issues with Yahoo displaying an email twice.  It shows the first full email, and then directly below displays some of the HTML again…

I’ve had this happen twice now.

Thanks!

Posted: 26 October 2011 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2009-08-23

Hello,

Thanks for contacting our customer support! 

It sounds like there might be an issue with the way our screen shot is being parsed together.  We process screen shots for AOL in several browsers, what browser is the issue occurring in? 

Did it happen twice in one day or is this an issue you saw a while ago? Was it in the same browser?  We’d like to see if we can recreate the same results on our end.

Miki

Posted: 27 October 2011 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-08-17

Same thing is happening to me. In Chrome 9 (Win). I don’t even get the whole email, just part of it, then it repeats again.

Posted: 27 October 2011 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-06-24

Greetings, we apologize that this is happening to you guys. We will need some more information to properly troubleshoot the issue.

Which browser version of Yahoo! in the test result is repeating for you (i.e. IE8, IE9, FF3.6, FF4, etc)? Or is it happening to all of the browser screen-shots for Yahoo! Mail?

Posted: 27 October 2011 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-08-17

Chrome 9 (Win)

I tried to add a screen shot but you are “unable to accept file attachments at this time.”

Posted: 02 November 2011 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-10-17

Hi,

I think we figured out the problem, at least with our email!  We isolated the copy causing the problem.  “Galveston, Texas” was causing our email to repeat.  Yahoo was adding a tag around that copy, and that’s where the repeating started.

Do any of you have a city/state in your copy?

-Sarah Sauer

Posted: 18 November 2011 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-10-25

Sarah,

I have a city/state in my email. This is definitely a Yahoo issue; it doesn’t stem from the Email on Acid screenshots, and it’s not browser-specific (at least on a Mac). I’m seeing this in Chrome, Safari, and FF8.

I’m looking at it in Firebug, and see that although Yahoo has killed its ‘shortcuts’ functionality, there’s still some leftover behavior:

<span id="lw_1321626069_2" class="yshortcuts">Austin</span

It’s at this point in the email that Yahoo seems to say ‘oh look…we recognize that as an address…let’s grab it and start all over!’  I was testing a few weeks ago and actually saw one email repeated three times.

Anyone know how to completely override the Yahoo shortcuts?

Ryan

P.S. I would attach a screenshot, but I’m getting the same attachment error message someone else mentioned.

Posted: 18 November 2011 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-23

Can someone post a sample code snippet so that we can try to isolate the issue?  I tried sending this and nothing was repeated:

<body>
This is my body copy GalvestonTexas
<
br />
<
br />
<
p>This is in a paragraph tag GalvestonTexas. </p>
<
br />
<
br />
<
div>This is in a div GalvestonTexas. </div>
</
body

To my knowledge, there is no way to overwrite Yahoo shortcuts but if this is a glitch, we might be able to find a way around it and/or write a blog post about it in hopes that Yahoo will resolve the issue.

Posted: 21 November 2011 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-10-25

This is a condensed version of the code. We send out our emails through iModules, so when we create an email, we’re essentially starting inside an unseen <body> tag:

<table>
<
tbody>
<
tr>
<
td>
<
p style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.8em;">
AustinTX 78713-7458<br />
Phone[phone]<br />
Toll free[phone]<br />
Email[email]<br />
Web[website]
</p>
</
td>
</
tr>
</
tbody>
</
table

When I look at the delivered email through Firebug, this is what it shows (starting with the paragraph tag above):

<p>...
<
span id="lw_1321893996_1" class="yshortcuts">AustinTX 78713-7458</span>
<
br />
Phone[phone]
<br />
Toll free[phone]
<br />
Email:
<
a style="color:rgb(204, 85, 0);font-weight:bold;" href="#" target="_blank" ymailto="#" rel="nofollow">[email]</a>
<
br />
Web:
<
a style="color:rgb(204, 85, 0);font-weight:bold;" href="#" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">[website]</a>
</
p

Yahoo starts from the detected shortcut above (the word “Austin”) and repeats the email after the first rendering, complete with a broken format. Snazzy.

Posted: 29 November 2011 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-10-25

Thanks to the info already existing on this site, I found a fix!

By applying the same Gmail phone number workaround used in this Email on Acid blog post, I received a single complete message in Yahoo without duplication.  All it took was adding the ­ character in front of the city, state, and zip; apparently, Yahoo no longer recognizes those as ‘shortcuts.’ Example below:

<p>...
&
#173;Austin, &#173;TX &#173;78713-7458<br />
Phone512&#173;-555&#173;-1212<br />
...</p

Ryan

Posted: 29 November 2011 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-23

Thanks Ryan,

We will be sure to add this fix to our tips and tricks section for Yahoo.  Thanks again for pointing this out!

Cheers,
Miki

x

And get updates on the latest email tips, tricks and hacks!